Respected Contributor

My DH and I go 'round and 'round about the 'wind chill factor'.  He said there is no way that anybody can calculate that.  I'm looking for some back up here...Do you have any info on that?  He wants to know if there is any kind of instrument that calculates it? Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: ''Wind chill factor''...???

[ Edited ]

Apparently there is a formula:

https://sciencing.com/calculate-wind-chill-factor-5981683.html

(you'll need a calculator  Man Happy )

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda It's a formula, not an instrument.  The formula is out on Google.  

Respected Contributor

I think the weather forecasters here in NE Ohio simply subtract the wind velocity from the temperature.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I'll be Sweden and say you both are right😁. It's been said there is no such thing as wind chill on inanimate objects, like a car, but the wind on bare skin feels colder than the temperature registering on a thermometer.

Honored Contributor

The National Weather Service uses a formula:

Calculate the wind chill using the National Weather Service's new formula. Multiply the temperature by 0.6215 and then add 35.74. Subtract 35.75 multiplied by the wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power. Finally, add 0.4275 multiplied by temperature, multiplied by wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The National Weather Service uses a formula:

Calculate the wind chill using the National Weather Service's new formula. Multiply the temperature by 0.6215 and then add 35.74. Subtract 35.75 multiplied by the wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power. Finally, add 0.4275 multiplied by temperature, multiplied by wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power.

Gee; and I thought it might be complicated.

(Yes; sarcasm.)

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I'll be Sweden and say you both are right😁. It's been said there is no such thing as wind chill on inanimate objects, like a car, but the wind on bare skin feels colder than the temperature registering on a thermometer.

Our local weathercasters have started using the term "feels like" temperature instead of "wind chill".  They always just briefly describe it as what it feels like to you when you combine the actual air temperature and wind speed.  

There is a certain temperature--I think it's about 55degrees--when wind chill can be determined.  Anything below that can have a "wind chill" factor.  Temps above that have a "heat index" when calculated with humidity.

Our meteorologists use the term feels like to describe both.  Probably to keep things easy to understand for their audience.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

My DH and I go 'round and 'round about the 'wind chill factor'.  He said there is no way that anybody can calculate that.  I'm looking for some back up here...Do you have any info on that?  He wants to know if there is any kind of instrument that calculates it? Thanks

Did you ask him to show you his degree in meteorology?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624Or just rely on someone getting paid to tell me!