Honored Contributor

Re: Why are hosts and guests dropping the t's in COTTON and BUTTON?

@hyacinth003  I think proper English has gone way of cursive writing.  With all the texting and slang English used by the younger generation, no need to learn proper speaking perhaps.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hyacinth003  I think proper English has gone way of cursive writing.  With all the texting and slang English used by the younger generation, no need to learn proper speaking perhaps.

I attended a Catholic grammar school where the English language was a HUGE deal.  Sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, etc. were emphasized daily.  We all thought it was a bit much!

However, it did have a point.  Having "rules" in learning proper speaking and writing gives us more assurance of a common, understandable, way of communication.

Finding ways around proper speaking and writing isn't the best idea.  Too much slang and abbreviation just gets confusing.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Verbal illiteracy is a staple of shopping channels now. Texting and writing in 140 characters is translating into speaking shortcuts, thus, the dropped syllables and the poor enunciation of words.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZpSy7si0M

Woman LOL

@RoughDraft  What you should probably do is write QVC and ask everybody to be fired with whom you disagree.  As an English major, I am not concerned about it. 

@Nonametoday

I don't know if you have a problem with me or not.  I did not post the attachment as a protest to anything,  let alone firing anyone..  I just thought it was funny.  Please feel free to igore my posts.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Annie57 It drives me crazy also!

Esteemed Contributor

Regional ways of saying things. I am one of them.  I mean no harm.  LOL  Not life threatening.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  These are the two words, cotton and button, that annoy me the most.  SG mispronouncing length annoys me as well.  There is a commercial out right now with two guys talking about almonds.  One guy pronounces it without the "L", and drives the other guy crazy.  Must be something up with all this talk, and it has nothing to do with accents.

Respected Contributor

LOL, just shoot all the funny talkers.   Them NYers have no r's either.   Unacceptable, they should all talk like me!

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@debic wrote:

LOL, just shoot all the funny talkers.   Them NYers have no r's either.   Unacceptable, they should all talk like me!

@debic LOL!  Exactly.  This thread isn't so much a series of complaints about poor diction, as it is an admission by so many who are unaware that there are regional dialects in our country.  

Occasional Contributor

I am a speech language pathologist. I have noticed this over the last few years. I hate it! I live in Pittsburgh, so I know a thing or two about regional dialects and cultural differences. This horrible glottal substitution is not regional unless you live in England! The glottal stop sounds totally ridiculous. I read several posts about producing the medial /t/ in words like button and cotton. Yes, the norm is that the sound is produced. . No one produces "hard" t's or double t's....soft /t's, but they are produced. It's called coarticulation. I believe producing a glottal substitution actually exerts greater articulatory effort than saying the actual /t/ sound, so it is not laziness. I think it is a generational thing (younger) and also a trend that is perceived as "cool". I think it is akin to the Kardashian glottal fry trend that started with their tv show several years ago. I dislike it very much. It used to be that Standard American English was required to be on television, and in the news business this appears to still be the norm, but it is not with the latest hosts hired by QVC. I also think it is like women wearing stilettos and sleeveless dresses in a January blizzard...just kind of impractical and stupid.