Honored Contributor

Re: Why are hosts and guests dropping the t's in COTTON and BUTTON?

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

@on the bay @dooBdoo I’m curious how you would phoenetically spell what you hear HERE when you click on the speaker next to the word as well as the “Word of the Day” recording farther down on the page.  I hear CAH in.

@TenderMercies, I hear the same glottal stop pronunciation as in the video I posted earlier in the thread -- they refer to it as the typical American pronunciation.   It's not the same as the other (3rd) variation we've been trying to describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vabg-EUHOQk

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Quickly scooting away from the forums for at least a wee bit of time...  we were without electricity for several hours very early this morning and now I hear thunder in the distance, so I'm going to prepare just in case!   Bye for now! 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

And I just have to add again,

the ones of us who are still discussing this, well, we must be a breed apart because to me and others still on this thread, we find it fascinating.

And then there are the others shaking their heads and thinking what in the world lol?! Its not a matter of sweating the small stuff as someone said.

Its the same as some are interested in old movies, some in fashion, some cooking.

Ok on this thread youi definitely have the obsessed with language.

Bless our heartsHeartMean it!Smiley Happy

I majored in speech and drama btw, and even back then I found it fascinating and it was the only thing that got me thru those 4 hard years!

@on the bay Do you think when people are writing cah in they actually mean to write caw in?  I’m sure you’ve spent a great deal of time with a cork lodged between your front teeth saying, “ooh o aw ah eh ay ee.”  You would know how there’s a big difference between ah and aw.

@TenderMercies  @on the bay

What?  You got to use cork?  I had to use marbles, lots ‘n lots of them! 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZpSy7si0M

Woman LOL

@RoughDraft  What you should probably do is write QVC and ask everybody to be fired with whom you disagree.  As an English major, I am not concerned about it.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe-

Yikes! Marbles!

i would have been afraid to swallow some!

And I don't remember cork either or having to put anything in our mouths.We studied the science of it and learned where the tongue was etc.

And how to projectSmiley Happy 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@Annie57 wrote:

Okay, I admit it: I am a teacher so this may bother me more than it does others, but has anyone else noticed how often the hosts and guests, especially the young ones, are pronouncing words like "cotton" and "button" as "cah-un" and "buh-un," completely dropping the T sound?  I am noticing it in my students, too. What is going on????

If they were born here, it's because nobody ever taught then how to speak correctly.  My mom would have called me on speaking like that.  I think some like SG, and some of the hosts just wish they were "cool".

Honored Contributor

As long as I can understand what someone is saying, I don't care.  It has no negative impact on my life in any way!!  There are more important things to obsess over!!! 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I agree the pronunciations are no doubt a regional thing the hosts can't lose and are not encouraged to lose. Now, here's the thing, LOL it makes them sound dumb.That being said, just about everything is not as good because people do not take pride in themselves or how they are perceived, good enough has become the new normal.

With seemingly almost every large and small thing in contemporary life......sigh....

Honored Contributor

OMG @Annie57  I noticed this too.... and thought it was just me. They say Cott-UN instead of Cott TEN.   At least two hosts have this issue with the word.... and it just 

BUGS THE  BLANK OUT OF ME TOO!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I thought it was a speech impediment when I heard "coh un" said.  I have NEVER heard it anywhere else.

I watch a lot at night and Kourney K. is the host.  I cringe every time she says IMPORDANT.  There is no "D" in that word.

These people are public speakers and should train professionally if they have to.  There are lots of us who expect proper grammar, speech, etc.

Hyacinth