Trusted Contributor

Re: Why are hosts and guests dropping the t's in COTTON and BUTTON?

[ Edited ]

I do it.  It's a reginal thing. 

Seriously...people need to stop being so nit-picky about the mundane stuff.  Life is way too short.

Super Contributor

Also why do people add an l to saw, it isn't sawl.

Super Contributor

Sorry, that should be a question mark at the end not a period.

Respected Contributor

I don't like it either. The hosts/vendors sound uneducated when they pronounce those words without the "t".  Come on, you are supposed to be professionals. Try speaking like you are one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PittPghGirl wrote:

I am a speech language pathologist. I have noticed this over the last few years. I hate it! I live in Pittsburgh, so I know a thing or two about regional dialects and cultural differences. This horrible glottal substitution is not regional unless you live in England! The glottal stop sounds totally ridiculous. I read several posts about producing the medial /t/ in words like button and cotton. Yes, the norm is that the sound is produced. . No one produces "hard" t's or double t's....soft /t's, but they are produced. It's called coarticulation. I believe producing a glottal substitution actually exerts greater articulatory effort than saying the actual /t/ sound, so it is not laziness. I think it is a generational thing (younger) and also a trend that is perceived as "cool". I think it is akin to the Kardashian glottal fry trend that started with their tv show several years ago. I dislike it very much. It used to be that Standard American English was required to be on television, and in the news business this appears to still be the norm, but it is not with the latest hosts hired by QVC. I also think it is like women wearing stilettos and sleeveless dresses in a January blizzard...just kind of impractical and stupid.

@PittPghGirl

What is with the recent trend of dropping the "ai" sound?  Such as "emel" for e-mail?  That is not the only word either.  Another example would be "felure" for failure?

My theory is that it's LAZY speech.  Takes a bit more work to sound out the "ai" sound.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I do it.  It's a reginal thing. 

Seriously...people need to stop being so nit-picky about the mundane stuff.  Life is way too short.

@Qshopper1991

But they are public speakers.  Regional doesn't cut it.

Hyacinth

Frequent Contributor

Interesting to see this post.  I thought I was only me that this bothered!  I think it's millenneals who may not be getting the education that we boomers got!  LOL!

In a word - ANNOYING!