Honored Contributor

Re: Why are hosts and guests dropping the t's in COTTON and BUTTON?

I agree with the other poster.  I really dislike it when they shorten words (like poly span, etc.).    Seems lazy and some customers may not know what some of these shortened words mean.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a new slang. Remember valley girl talk - where girls all over the country talked like California, priviledged valley teens? It's a fad. It will go away. Yes, I find people who do this want to appear trendy. Anyone talking like this beyond high school and college years sounds silly. I work at a college and hear mostly young women talking like this in the hallway. Makes them feel connected and special. A few years ago it wasn't uncommon to hear young men at the college, wearing polo shirts and living in the suburbs, talk as if they were in a gang. Fad. Will disappear. Then something else will pop up. I remember in middle and high school, a lot of kids used British accents because of the British Invasion in music. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I’m wondering if I’ve blocked the Valley Girls stuff because THAT communication style even I dislike INTENSELY. 

My personal MAXIcringe is adding a schwa at the end of statements- HAYyuh, where are you goinguh? Can I comeuh?

Fingernails on a blackboard.......

Respected Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

Annie57, I have always noticed it and it does sound wrong to me.  I live in Alabama, southern accent of corse, and I notice it.  We had speech arts classes in 7th grade and phonics in reading classes.  These were basic classes taught every year.  So when I hear someone mispronounce words, I just notice it.  Cotton has two t's so you pronounce two t's...  cot  ton.  Southern pronunceation can sound like cot  un.    Smiley Happy     

@Sweet Caroline 1  Although I did not attend school in the south, but as you did, I too had speech arts classes, phonics, and I remember especially being taught to enunciate.  And as you said, when someone mispronounces a word or words, it is just something I notice.

Respected Contributor

In order to speed talk (120 wpm or more) to save time ... it is imperative not to fully pronounce 2-or-more syllable words to their fullest.   Time is money according to QVC.    Plus the caffeine these hosts/guests consume in order "to be up on their game" also 'accentuates' the issue.

Trusted Contributor

If the commercials that advertise for cotton pronounce it as caught-en, then it's good enough for me.  That's how I pronounce it, too.

Honored Contributor

I agree the pronunciations are no doubt a regional thing the hosts can't lose and are not encouraged to lose. Now, here's the thing, LOL it makes them sound dumb.That being said, just about everything is not as good because people do not take pride in themselves or how they are perceived, good enough has become the new normal.

Valued Contributor

Blackhole, you nailed it.
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I've noticed it also and yes it seems peculiar.

Also the "new" word that you hear regularly now....how to spell it........."zhjuug" or "jooj".........does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Shawn uses it often.......it apparently means "to improvise" or "to adjust".............................

Zhoozh

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZpSy7si0M

Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~