Honored Contributor

Re: Why $5 shipping and the US Postal Service?

@QPrincess wrote:

I ordered the new Joan Rivers The Favorite necklace J345993. I shouldn't have but it was so unique. It was $79.56 and the Q charged $5 shipping - not $3. But then, instead of shipping UPS, they sent it regular mail. This means the box will be crushed, as they always are through the mail system. I do find this a little irritating as other items ship UPS for the $3 shipping.

Also recently, I have ordered two items during the same time frame and paid $3 shipping on each item. Then, the Q combines them in one package (which should really always be done) BUT I didn't save any shipping, going to the same address. Q when you do this, the customer should save a little and you shouldn't be making money on the shipping costs.

@QPrincess

In addition to what others have said,----on your other question---QVC did away with the discount that they used to have ---if you ordered more than one of the same item going to the same address you received 1/2 off on shipping on the second item. Now even though they combine the orders into one package---the customer no longer benefits with reduced shipping. Like KACHINA said QVC makes a few bucks from their shipping which helps their bottom line................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

USPS rates went up significantly on January 23, 2017.   Most 1st class parcels or ground parcels cost nearly $5 to send these days.

@CalminHeart  That's not true for jewelry sent first class.  The most I've paid is $3.50 and the majority of jewelry parcetls I've sent are under $3.00.  They weigh in at much less than a pound.  And they come with tracking and if not delivered timely they can be found.  

Sending jewelry through the mail should be insured unless it's under a certain amount and I feel I can afford to lose it in case it gets lost or stolen.  That stops me from sending First Class jewelry to my customers on eBay.  I recently sold a $200 necklace.  Not only did I have to buy postage, but also full insurance AND signature required.  Cost $13.05 to send that package!

When I return something, I always use QVC's return postage.  It's insured and I don't have to pay for the insurance.  Which, no matter what the item, is always cheaper than had I sent it myself.  If I buy my own insurance for returning a QVC item, I lose what I gain from First Class when I buy insurance and I will NOT send back anything without insurance.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u  I see where you are coming from.  But with tracking now even on first class, it's been really good.  There were two packages (out of many) where my tracking got "stuck" - in other words, it looked like the pkg. was lost and I was worried (one of the two contained jewelry going back to QVC).  However, in each case, I called the P.O's 800 number and the packages were both found and accounted for w/in 24 hours of my call (in the QVC jewelry case, clearly the carrier had just neglected to scan it in when it was delivered; it was indeed delivered and I ended up with proof of delivery after my call to the 800 number).   In the case of the other package -- a gift to a friend  in the state of Washington -- it  lost tracking in Des Moines Iowa.  Once I called the 800 number, the next day the package got moving again.  I think the tracking mechanism has worked very well - the PO really does find it.  Again, that's been only two cases out of many pkgs. I've sent first class.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee

I agree that USPS's tracking has gotten a lot better than it used to be, as a matter of fact my dealing with USPS on a regular basis has made me a believer that they are doing a really good job (for the most part).... but like anything, not buying insurance is betting everything will go ok.

It goes south far more often than you'd think and it only takes one $100 jewelry item getting lost (or stolen) without insurance that makes saving a dollar or two on each item go out the window.  When a QVC customer takes on returning the item on their own they are then responsible for it getting back to QVC without incident.  I think it's really worth the extra 2 or 3 dollars to have QVC responsible.  

I still have an eBay package outstanding (over 6 months now) that the PO can't find. According to tracking, it's been all over the US several times.... but is now considered lost.  I've been reimbursed through the insurance..   A lot of eBay sellers will "self-insure".... meaning that if something happens, they will absorb the cost of the refund to the buyer and not have USPS (or another service) involved.

Anyway....  all a matter of personal preference..... Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*