Valued Contributor

Why $5 shipping and the US Postal Service?

I ordered the new Joan Rivers The Favorite necklace J345993. I shouldn't have but it was so unique. It was $79.56 and the Q charged $5 shipping - not $3. But then, instead of shipping UPS, they sent it regular mail. This means the box will be crushed, as they always are through the mail system. I do find this a little irritating as other items ship UPS for the $3 shipping.

Also recently, I have ordered two items during the same time frame and paid $3 shipping on each item. Then, the Q combines them in one package (which should really always be done) BUT I didn't save any shipping, going to the same address. Q when you do this, the customer should save a little and you shouldn't be making money on the shipping costs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why $5 shipping and the US Postal Service?

They seem to ship all jewelry USPS, which is how I've received all of mine.  Nothing I've gotten has been crushed. 

QVC depends on profits from shipping costs to balance the books, as do many corporations.  Your necklace was probably larger than the average ring or small jewelry piece. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

USPS shipping went up again on Jan 2017 for the third year in a row.  i am a small seller on eBay and even with my eBay discount I can't send much of anything for $5.00 much less $3.00.  And insurance for jewelry runs high as it's $2.30 for every $50 of value.  If you have an $80 necklace, the insurance alone would be $4.60, then you add in the actual shipping..... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QPrincess wrote:

I ordered the new Joan Rivers The Favorite necklace J345993. I shouldn't have but it was so unique. It was $79.56 and the Q charged $5 shipping - not $3. But then, instead of shipping UPS, they sent it regular mail. This means the box will be crushed, as they always are through the mail system. I do find this a little irritating as other items ship UPS for the $3 shipping.

Also recently, I have ordered two items during the same time frame and paid $3 shipping on each item. Then, the Q combines them in one package (which should really always be done) BUT I didn't save any shipping, going to the same address. Q when you do this, the customer should save a little and you shouldn't be making money on the shipping costs.

@QPrincess  Ever since the new shipping policy from QVC went into effect, jewelry $75 and over has been $5 not $3.  That's been ever since the $3 shipping took effect.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel that is still a bargain.....if you return it, you will see how much more you will pay.

I sent a plain T shirt to Canada and I paid more for shipping than I paid for the T shirt.

Valued Contributor

Obviously I have not ordered more expensive jewelry lately as any jewelry I have ordered has been $3 to ship. The Q made a big deal about shipping being $3 when they first unveiling the new shipping program. I have been in business and know that companies that ship a lot get HUGE discounts from UPS and FEDEX. I'm not sure about the postal service. Often my boxes shipped throught the postal service arrive damaged/crushed - not so with UPS.

Because I know the Q receives a huge discount for shipping, I just felt that for the $5 they could have shipped UPS. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with the shipping. Often I have ordered where the shipping is $3 and it comes UPS. Other times not so.

And I do know that anything we ship on our own cost a lot more than what the Q charges.

Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

@QPrincess wrote:

Obviously I have not ordered more expensive jewelry lately as any jewelry I have ordered has been $3 to ship. The Q made a big deal about shipping being $3 when they first unveiling the new shipping program. I have been in business and know that companies that ship a lot get HUGE discounts from UPS and FEDEX. I'm not sure about the postal service. Often my boxes shipped throught the postal service arrive damaged/crushed - not so with UPS.

Because I know the Q receives a huge discount for shipping, I just felt that for the $5 they could have shipped UPS. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with the shipping. Often I have ordered where the shipping is $3 and it comes UPS. Other times not so.

And I do know that anything we ship on our own cost a lot more than what the Q charges.

Thanks for the info.

When QVC changed their shipping they offered $3 shipping on jewelry only up to a certain amount (it was mentioned upthread) but over that amount and the shipping was $5.  It's been this way since they implemented the new shipping charges.  Also yes, QVC gets a corporate discount but they utilize different carriers in order to get the best discounts possible and that's the reason for not getting the same carrier every time you get an item, also where you are located in relationship to where the item is warehoused is also taken into account.

Also, yes, an average person will go into UPS or USPS and pay quite a bit more for shipping. But we do not know what QVC's discounts are.... so it's impossible to say how much they are charging us compared to what they are spending.  I've been shipping for years and my discount from eBay is roughly 10%.... not much for this poor little seller....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

USPS rates went up significantly on January 23, 2017.   Most 1st class parcels or ground parcels cost nearly $5 to send these days.

Occasional Contributor

I disagree with you. Anything I can ship back to QVC will be cheaper AND it will get there more quickly. For example: I sent back one top, it cost $6.95 for me to return it. It took 8 days to get from IL to PA. I sent something back (at my own expense), it was LESS than $6.95 and it went by first class mail and was there in 3 days. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

USPS rates went up significantly on January 23, 2017.   Most 1st class parcels or ground parcels cost nearly $5 to send these days.

@CalminHeart  That's not true for jewelry sent first class.  The most I've paid is $3.50 and the majority of jewelry parcetls I've sent are under $3.00.  They weigh in at much less than a pound.  And they come with tracking and if not delivered timely they can be found.