Respected Contributor

When you cannot open packaging

I am getting more and more frustrated at packaging that is really difficult to open.

I purchased a pair of Skechers shoes for my daughter.  The shoebox came in the heavy plastic QVC packaging.  I wanted to preserve the packaging in case they didn't fit or work for her. 

Neither my husband or myself could get the packaging open without damaging it.  No real perforation to tear on nor any other way to get it open without cutting into it.

And while I am at it, how about the paper packaging of some jewelry or cosmetics.  There is no way to preserve the package properly in case it needs to be returned.  Some open easily, others don't.

I have noticed on some Amazon packaging they promise easy open!

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Re: When you cannot open packaging

we always get packages in the mail, so i make sure i have good cutters, scissors, wire cutters on hand. makes it a lot easier and less frustrating 

Esteemed Contributor

I can certainly relate, @hyacinth003 .

Haven't bought Temptations in years, however, I did make a couple purchases recently.  Each time, opening the box, i.e., cutting thru the tape, was a pita.  But, after all that getting the items out of the box was near impossible!  They use foam inserts which conform to the item(s) to protect the items.  However, the foam is cheap quality and specks come apart, sticking everywhere!Woman Sad  And, trying to pull the items out is impossible as it fits too tightly, foams breaks apart in pieces and it's stuck in the box!  So, you have to cut the box apart to get at the items.  Just not worth the mess nor the effort.  And the box is ruined, therefore unusable if needing to return items.

Yes, A is much better at packaging, packing and shipping.

Respected Contributor

I guess it's theft prevention. Sometimes it seems you need a chain saw to remove a product. Be careful with HP edged plastics. 

Esteemed Contributor

Call me crazy, but I would rather have an item arrive that has been well packaged and the box in descent shape, than with little to no packaging at all.

But that's just me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@freakygirl 

We have ALL the necessary tools.  I could open anything.  The point is to preserve the integrity of the packaging IN CASE it needs to be returned.  They give instructions on the package that DO NOT WORK, therefore requiring more harsh methods and damage to the packaging.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I agree with that overall.  But it isn't a matter of quality in packaging.

The issue is opening a returnable item while preserving the ability to USE the packaging to return it if needed.  I don't return that much, but shoes may or may not work.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

I do crafts and order a lot this time of yr. You wouldn't believe the problem I have with the delivery of items. If I'd return everything that's partially damaged, I'd be busy all day just doing that. Yesterday, I received two frames that were bent but still usable. Pkgs are taped up by USPS and late but what are we to do?

Esteemed Contributor

I find that a good set of shears works well with removing some things from clamshell packaging. I've even had marginal success with wire cutters.😊 

I think Temptations is so EXTREMELY well packaged now, because of the many, many complaints the company receives of items arriving broken. I have seen countless complaints of such, here on the forums.

I concur that a bodybuilder is sometimes needed to remove items.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

really dont have any issues with qvc packaging. i think they do a good job.

i have sharp scissors and a box cutter and those work to open boxes and bags with no issues. some of the bags or boxes that i open are saved just in case i need to return something.....so i have enough packed away in the garage. i turn the bags inside out, put the label on the bag, and stick the return in there. for boxes, i remove the label and put on the return sticker.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein