Honored Contributor

Re: The demise of QVC, let's get real here

Even though I wouldn't watch a full hour of the same item like a mattress or vacuum cleaner, I would tend to think it's a sales strategy that's not meant to entertain the masses who don't want to purchase but just be entertained by their favorite items but directed to the many who just channel surf and become interested in the product so they can see all the specs about a product. Since none of us has access to the stats on how well these items sell and the exact profit each item brings in by doing this, I would tend to think it's working quite well I can't imagine anyone watching a full hour of such products unless they were on the fence about buying it. Life has more exciting things to offer than watching a shopping channel!

Respected Contributor

My theory on the hour long presentations is that the manufacturers are buying time on QVC and paying all the overhead. QVC makes money on the deal and the manufacturers get to an established audience. I read a piece by Steve Bryant that made sense as well. He was explaining the narrow branding strategy that he believes QVC is employing. I'm glad that you are getting better quality, Pook. I mostly bought clothing, footwear and jewelry and I have found the quality to have gone down. I really noticed when stones were falling out and posts were breaking on earrings. I have jewelry from ten years ago that is still in perfect condition.
Honored Contributor

Agreed, the quality seems to have become more dicey... Certainly, the quality control of those items flying out the door... and into our homes seems to be questioned more than ever...

Ugh, the hour long schlock... and too long, too frequent presentations of pretty much the same old, uh, stuff... As for why they do what they do, as a customer, who cares...? Regardless of why they do it, they do it... and the net result is musty, stagnant programming...

This and virtually every weekend is a prime example. Great gifts, late night gifts, gift favorites, gift for this, that and the other... Hours long and the same merchandise over and over... And for every viewer they capture with an hour long Bliss light (computer, mattress, blender...) presentation, it'd be interesting to know how many dozen tune out...

As far as I'm concerned, this outfit is going down for the third time...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Pook said:

Even though I wouldn't watch a full hour of the same item like a mattress or vacuum cleaner, I would tend to think it's a sales strategy that's not meant to entertain the masses who don't want to purchase but just be entertained by their favorite items but directed to the many who just channel surf and become interested in the product so they can see all the specs about a product. Since none of us has access to the stats on how well these items sell and the exact profit each item brings in by doing this, I would tend to think it's working quite well I can't imagine anyone watching a full hour of such products unless they were on the fence about buying it. Life has more exciting things to offer than watching a shopping channel!

We don't watch something that bores us and we aren't buying...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And, for those who rail at the notion of QVC's programming being theoretically 'entertaining', the quote below is from the Q's own website...

"QVC is more than just live video content. It is changing the way the world shops by re-imagining shopping, entertainment and social as one."

Unfortunately, they missed the boat... Musty merchandise presented ad nauseum is not entertaining, no matter how many Facebook references are included per any given show...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I think they are a ''ship wreak"" because of the repeat shows and one day items shows and running too quickly with there X-mas shows and one of those shows once a month. If it goes it goes. I order very little from QVC now and I do not watch there programming unless I have problems sleeping at night. boring!

Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Pook said:

The way some seem to remember QVC as having such great products in the early years is not what I remember. I've never been attracted to the clothing here as it is much too conservative for me so I can't speak to the quality of the clothing now versus then. Much of the jewelry sold was more gold and gemstones but often not that great in quality. I have a jewelry box full of broken earrings that either the posts or wires broke or the tiny gemstones fell out and many rings with such thin gold that the back of the rings are all misshapen! Back then nearly everything shown was interesting because no internet! I bought many many junky items such as the 1st steam cleaner that was a small plastic thing that held about 3/4 cups of water and did nothing more than splatter/dribble water. Then there was the rechargeable scrubber thingy that actually took more effort to use than hand scrubbing! I just found a box full of kitchen gadgets from the early days that were so cheaply made and worthless that I bought in the early days here as well as many pots and pans and cheaply made hand mixers that worked for only a few months!! I didn't buy much for many years in the early days after all those duds. For me, I see the changes made over the years have been great and resulted in better and better products. I now buy much more than I ever did and have no problem with the quality of anything I now purchase!

I have not been with QVC has some of the others ....I was never around for the Kathy Levine days or some of the other hosts they mention.....But what I DO remember is the quality....I have purchased QVC's gold jewelry and am very happy with those pieces, no problems with the posts or the backs, I have beautiful earrings, rings, and a couple of necklaces. They were nicely made and beautiful gemstones, no wearing down or mishaping. They have held up well and I wear them all the time. They are better than what I've purchased at the local national chains--

I USED TO find some nice clothes at reasonable prices, the sizing was CONSISTENT and the fabric quality was excellent! Now a days they are offering Wal Mart Quality, nothing wrong with that, BUT the difference is QVC is charging 6 times the price! And I find NOW that QVC clothing stretches out or fades after a couple of washings....the sizing is inconsistent even within the same brands.....and QVC's measurements are even wrong online---they had the top listed as 29", when I measured it, the top was 26" .....And let's talk about their UNCOMPETITIVE prices .... I can go to Dillards and find beautiful clothes for $29 to $39 great quality---top brands, Jones of New York, Tanjay, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Westbound, Chaus, Calvin Klein.....while QVC has upped their prices and now the average is usually $49 to $63 for similar styles and then add in another $7 for shipping ....they've priced themselves out of the market!!!And after returning so many QVC clothes I have just stopped buying from them.....

And I also have QVC's kitchen gadgets I've purchased over the years---I don't know which ones you've purchased but I use them almost every day they are well made and have held up---mandolin, knives, cutting board, whisk, pepper grinders etc etc....

And you say better and better products{#emotions_dlg.laugh}---read the forums and read the ever increasing complaints that are similar to many here on the clothing, kitchen forums, Temptations that cracks and crazes which never happened before, even Valerie Parr Hill items---do you call finger prints engraved on a candle--quality, an expensive horse that wont even stand up quality!!!! Jewelry that peels, stones falling out, clasps breaking....and let's not even talk about what QVC is charging for what amounts to COSTUME jewelry that I can find at Macy's so much cheaper....People are complaining about beauty products being watered down, and cheaper deals elsewhere!!!!

.And this has nothing to do with the internet being new!!!!! Before the internet or a TV shopping channel every existed I shopped catalogs for unique and different things, and for better deals, shopped outlet malls.etc. etc...so I just didn't go crazy because gasp QVC was something new, or gave me a chance to reminisce about the "good old days" because retailers joined the internet ---and I definitely don't watch shopping channels 24/7 for entertainment---I have said it many times---it exists to shop!!! I don't want to friend the hosts on Facebook, or tune in because of the host.....There are only a few vendors on QVC that interest me anymore ..... I am a shopper that compares my options and QVC is one of many options...Sadly since they show mostly what I can get locally or find cheaper elsewhere it's becoming less of an option and some of us are trying to get it back as a viable option again and so our voices should be heard! And that what Q DID WHAT IS FOR and also the SUGGESTION BOX....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”