Honored Contributor

Re: The demise of QVC, let's get real here

On 10/16/2014 gardensla said:

I appreciate the lengths to which QVC has gone to make it so easy for me to shop elsewhere! They could not have done a better job if they'd planned it.

Quality, gone. Value, long gone. Convenience, not so much.

Like many others there was a time when QVC was my first port of call when I needed a small appliance such as a vacuum or coffee maker, a nicely made piece of clothing, or a skincare item but over the past five years my buying patterns have changed substantially. Why would I buy a small appliance from QVC when I can get a better price and similar shipping time from a variety of vendors such as Kohls or Amazon? Clothes, shoes, bags? With the exception of Linea, I've been very disappointed in the other brands I've bought at QVC-- from piling sweaters, cheap poly-rich fabrics, everything synthetic and always, always substantially more $$ than I could find elsewhere. This morning I needed boots so went to Amazon which is offering 20% with free shipping. Uh, QVC? Full price, full shipping, and don't return or we'll spank you with a letter.

I happen to love social media and spend lots of time on FB, Twitter, Instagram but QVC's presence on these outlets is so predictable and boring that theirs aren't pages I check often. I enjoyed toGather at first but they never upgraded to enhance the user experience so that too just became dull. Speaking for myself only, I've NEVER purchased anything I saw on someone else's toGather page and conversion is a huge metric for success. I would be surprised if anyone is pleased at how social is performing in term of ROI.

So, if your younger customers have it in their DNA to do lots of web searching before buying and always, always find a better price, and your older customers are bored with your lack of variety and reliance on social media, to which many don't subscribe, to sell and engage I'm not sure I see much of a recipe for success.

I think it might be as simple as getting back to basics. Every retailer knows the recipe: Exceed your customer's expectations by offering best-in-class merchandise sold at a spectacularly competitive price and backed up with amazing customer service.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Do you get it YET, Q?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 10/13/2014 depglass said:

In reading the general tone of the posts, one would assume QVC is about to throw in the towel. The old timers don't like the social media trend, current shipping rates, slow shipping, the loss of some favorite lines and categories. Yet they have nothing to speak to the current younger generation. I need the perspective of someone familiar with business news and financial statements. I'm under the assumption QVC is still the highest volume TV retailer with the most profit. They are marketing geniuses in most respects. Please offer evidence to the contrary.

Kind of ironic, isn't it. Coming on a community forum to complain about social media.

Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 Kathleen said:
On 10/13/2014 depglass said:

In reading the general tone of the posts, one would assume QVC is about to throw in the towel. The old timers don't like the social media trend, current shipping rates, slow shipping, the loss of some favorite lines and categories. Yet they have nothing to speak to the current younger generation. I need the perspective of someone familiar with business news and financial statements. I'm under the assumption QVC is still the highest volume TV retailer with the most profit. They are marketing geniuses in most respects. Please offer evidence to the contrary.

Kind of ironic, isn't it. Coming on a community forum to complain about social media.

I suppose the difference is the hosts don't engage in incessant chatter about what's transpiring in the community forums, the Q doesn't do advance sales to those in the community forums, neither the hosts nor the Q encourage us relentlessly to participate in the community forums, and when it gets right down to it, there are a slew of customers who are no more engaged by the community forums than they are by Facebook...

Honored Contributor

On 10/15/2014 redngold said:
On 10/13/2014 SPURT said:
On 10/13/2014 nutmeg3 said: i do not think QVC is going out of business anytime soon. Have folks noticed the number of guests on the forum sometimes 13000 plus. The QVC customer is changing. They are more tech savy than some of us older people that frequent this forum.

I do not think that being tech savvy has made the impact QVC has hoped for...---QVC has emphasized their social media, but neither the number of people in the forums or on their Facebook pages have impacted their sales figures other than the fact that their financials show more people prefer to to be ordering online rather than calling in and having a QVC Customer Service Representative place their order for them. Or some don't watch their TV programming just place an order online for the few vendors that they still like. But their sales figures aren't that hot...

As far as the number of people viewing or participating in the forums...why some of the threads even mention where one can find a better deal elsewhere....And many come to read or post because of the comradery and friendships that have been made, or just to chat or get recommendations or suggestions or debate various topics....it's become more of a popular meeting place, but that is still not translating into better sales figures ..... And from what I've heard other shopping channel forums are much more moderated and restrictive and people find them a tad boring so many that seldom or never shop here still prefer to post here....

I think QVC is having a problem retaining their current customers---which QVC's CEO described as being between 45 and 65. The younger demographic may be buying beauty products, but studies show the younger folks aren't into cooking, and they think QVC clothes and jewelry are "frumpy", their electronics are outdated.....so who are they attracting....it seems only those that have shopped with the Q for years and years and have that affinity with QVC and a particular hosts, and view the hosts are their friends/family so they will continue to be here. But who else---they may get a "drive by" shopper making a major purpose--computer/tablet/vacuum/keurig but how many of these items does one need, you certainly don't need big ticket items week after week... and will they even be back and become a regular customer....It seems many current customers have become disenchanted....

The younger generation are not into cooking? My daughter is a gorgeous twenty something who would put any of the QVC models to shame, and she LOVES cooking. So do her friends, so you shouldn't make such silly blanket statements.

Hi redngold....I am sorry and I apologize I in no way meant to insult your daughter or her friends. I was just remembering something from an article I read describing the different generations. It said for people considered serious cooks, only 18% of millennials fell into this category. Yes, it's a generalization, and like anything else, there are always exceptions, this is just an overall average based on the author's research. So I guess your daughter did not fit the author's description of the average millenial --- GOOD FOR HER! I am glad she and her friends love cooking.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 SPURT said:
On 10/13/2014 nutmeg3 said: i do not think QVC is going out of business anytime soon. Have folks noticed the number of guests on the forum sometimes 13000 plus. The QVC customer is changing. They are more tech savy than some of us older people that frequent this forum.

I do not think that being tech savvy has made the impact QVC has hoped for...---QVC has emphasized their social media, but neither the number of people in the forums or on their Facebook pages have impacted their sales figures other than the fact that their financials show more people prefer to to be ordering online rather than calling in and having a QVC Customer Service Representative place their order for them. Or some don't watch their TV programming just place an order online for the few vendors that they still like. But their sales figures aren't that hot...

As far as the number of people viewing or participating in the forums...why some of the threads even mention where one can find a better deal elsewhere....And many come to read or post because of the comradery and friendships that have been made, or just to chat or get recommendations or suggestions or debate various topics....it's become more of a popular meeting place, but that is still not translating into better sales figures ..... And from what I've heard other shopping channel forums are much more moderated and restrictive and people find them a tad boring so many that seldom or never shop here still prefer to post here....

I think QVC is having a problem retaining their current customers---which QVC's CEO described as being between 45 and 65. The younger demographic may be buying beauty products, but studies show the younger folks aren't into cooking, and they think QVC clothes and jewelry are "frumpy", their electronics are outdated.....so who are they attracting....it seems only those that have shopped with the Q for years and years and have that affinity with QVC and a particular hosts, and view the hosts are their friends/family so they will continue to be here. But who else---they may get a "drive by" shopper making a major purpose--computer/tablet/vacuum/keurig but how many of these items does one need, you certainly don't need big ticket items week after week... and will they even be back and become a regular customer....It seems many current customers have become disenchanted....

The younger generation are not into cooking? My daughter is a gorgeous twenty something who would put any of the QVC models to shame, and she LOVES cooking. So do her friends, so you shouldn't make such silly blanket statements.

Hi redngold....I am sorry and I apologize I in no way meant to insult your daughter or her friends. I was just remembering something from an article I read describing the different generations. It said for people considered serious cooks, only 18% of millennials fell into this category. Yes, it's a generalization, and like anything else, there are always exceptions, this is just an overall average based on the author's research. So I guess your daughter did not fit the author's description of the average millenial --- GOOD FOR HER! I am glad she and her friends love cooking.

Oh and for heaven's sake, why must some people be so literal? With all due respect, this was not about her 'gorgeous' twenty year old daughter, who defies the odds and loves to cook. your point is well taken, Spurt. As a group, younger people are not turning in droves to QVC to watch endless programming featuring redundant merchandise, polyester fashions, dated technology and hours long kitchen shows featuring a middle aged male happy dancing and yum-yum facing...

Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 stevieb said:
On 10/16/2014 SPURT said:

Oh and for heaven's sake, why must some people be so literal? With all due respect, this was not about her 'gorgeous' twenty year old daughter, who defies the odds and loves to cook. your point is well taken, Spurt. As a group, younger people are not turning in droves to QVC to watch endless programming featuring redundant merchandise, polyester fashions, dated technology and hours long kitchen shows featuring a middle aged male happy dancing and yum-yum facing...

I don't think any 20 year olds would be enamored with David's antics.....and I don't think we would hear any of them say that David is the son they dream about having one day{#emotions_dlg.laugh}.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Hahaha. I can't watch Dave tasting all this delicious food on TV because I get jealous!! And I cannot cook it myself either. Lol. Oh and Stevie you are so right about polyester. My sister lives in Europe and she scolds me for wearing polyester tops. I told her I don't wear them all the time but they are practical for traveling. And after her comments I find myself wearing less and less of that terrible fabric....I can't believe they actually sell PJs made with poly!
Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 tough_kitty said: Hahaha. I can't watch Dave tasting all this delicious food on TV because I get jealous!! And I cannot cook it myself either. Lol. Oh and Stevie you are so right about polyester. My sister lives in Europe and she scolds me for wearing polyester tops. I told her I don't wear them all the time but they are practical for traveling. And after her comments I find myself wearing less and less of that terrible fabric....I can't believe they actually sell PJs made with poly!

I can't watch David. Period. As far as I'm concerned, he's become like a cartoon character.

Respected Contributor

On 10/15/2014 stevieb said:
On 10/15/2014 blueLagoon said:

Dep,

No words of business wisdom here, but my mindset concerning QVC at the moment is:

I've ordered my last item this week since I had a $20 credit. The S&H is profound (for me), and their "Imported" merchandise is plentiful in brick-and-mortar stores. Moreover, I am disappointed with the new hosts coming on-board. Lisa R. is smart to move on ... "get out while you're on top is a good mantra."

I tend to agree that Lisa might just be getting out while the getting is good. Not only has the Q been steadily deteriorating, but for most of the past couple of years, they've had her as the 'face' of the new Gili line. Recently, in another of the warehouse clean-outs, they put an older Gili bag on clearance. Some of us who ordered it appear to have received returns. One lady over in 'handbags' indicates having received a bag with the oft discussed cracked handle pads and with hair and other debris in the bottom of the bag... The bag I received didn't appear to have been used, but it arrived ensconced in an Issac Mizrahi dust bag and was not wrapped as a new bag would be... These bags were sold as new, and not as part of the 'as-is' category. This is no way to run a business and I can't imagine that Lisa was unaware of their intent, though I wouldn't expect that she could do a thing about it. In addition to her hopefully going to something better, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that part of her choice was based on simply no longer wanting to be part of an operation that seems intent on perpetuating all the negative commentary about itself, and in fact, in furthering it, while seeming to make absolutely no positive strides forward. She strikes me as astute enough to not want her name, again associated with the Gili house brand, dragged down in the process. I wish her well. Unfortunately, unless someone takes the bull by the horns and make some rather sweeping changes, and quickly, I don't see much good in the future for QVC. I'm sure they'll continue as a retail entity, but they could very well be doing it without a percentage of those of us who have been part of their core audience for many years. Every aspect of this operation appears to have reached the edge of shoddy.

I agree with both of you about Lisa leaving. I think she has "seen the writing on the wall", and possibly taken an offer from a vendor or somone associated with QVC. I am sure she has MANY "connections" & took someone up. I also think Lisa is only the 1st of the seasoned hosts to leave. I look for more to follow very soon.

Honored Contributor

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few others depart, unless QVC sweetens the pot, that is... I have to wonder if they might be trying to restructure contracts and if they are, whether or not that played into Lisa's choice... Of course, I don't know and there's certainly enough speculation on these boards right now, but at a time when profits are reported in some corners as being not so great and they clearly are trying to conserve cash flow by not maintaining much stock in certain areas, by an over-reliance on advance orders in others, and by relying more on both in-house brands and in-house product reps, you have to wonder if trimming operating costs isn't a factor.