Honored Contributor

Re: The demise of QVC, let's get real here

On 10/17/2014 stevieb said:

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few others depart, unless QVC sweetens the pot, that is... I have to wonder if they might be trying to restructure contracts and if they are, whether or not that played into Lisa's choice... Of course, I don't know and there's certainly enough speculation on these boards right now, but at a time when profits are reported in some corners as being not so great and they clearly are trying to conserve cash flow by not maintaining much stock in certain areas, by an over-reliance on advance orders in others, and by relying more on both in-house brands and in-house product reps, you have to wonder if trimming operating costs isn't a factor.

Since QVC's stock will be listed separately, and we have witnessed cutting costs by the reduction in inventory and vendors, I bet your right that could also mean trimming operating costs including host's salaries....of course we are just speculating....

This was from an article in April when Mikey announced that QVC would be debuting QVC France in the second quarter in 2015....

"Sales in the southern European country have more than tripled in the past two years despite political turmoil and a shrinking economy. That gave George confidence to enter France. The move will push its reach to eight countries outside the U.S. as George tries to revive growth at QVC, a unit of Liberty Interactive Corp. (LINTA)".

So if he's trying to REVIVE GROWTH that confirms that their sales have been stagnant...

Also it appears if we want variety at QVC we will have to move to France.....look what their plans are for QVC France---sounds a bit like what we've been asking for....{#emotions_dlg.mad}

"QVC plans to create opportunities for inventors, entrepreneurs and businesses of all sizes. The company plans to offer a wide range of French and international brands as it opens this new marketplace for French shoppers."

http://chescobusinesstoday.com/qvc-expands-france-first-broadcasts-anticipated-2015/

France has other advantages....Wink, ask Frenchmen Boris Diaw of the Spurs...

Boris with Larry in Paris and Pyla sur Mer Boris with Larry in Paris and Pyla sur Mer

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Meanwhile, on the domestic front, I understand there's immediate availability of Dull, oops, Dell... computers, Vitamix morethanablender, Serta mattresses, Dyson and Shark vacuums, Missus-a-Prindables apples, Cheryl's cookies, Vionic, the Flashpad, and, of course, Poo Pourri...

Ho, ho, ho... Exciting stuff...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Yes, well, I think Mikey might have waited just a bit too long to try to 'revive' growth here and really, prey tell, precisely WHAT have we seen them do toward that end? I can't think of a single thing... It's been business as usual, the same old-same old, and surely the sumptuous holiday programming doesn't appear to vary an iota from what we've come to expect... There's our Q, doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome...

There really might have been something to be said for getting the domestic house in order before further expansion abroad... Incidentally, "stinks" in French is somewhat familiar and kind of cute: pue... A rose by any other name...

Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 stevieb said:

Yes, well, I think Mikey might have waited just a bit too long to try to 'revive' growth here and really, prey tell, precisely WHAT have we seen them do toward that end? I can't think of a single thing... It's been business as usual, the same old-same old, and surely the sumptuous holiday programming doesn't appear to vary an iota from what we've come to expect... There's our Q, doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome...

There really might have been something to be said for getting the domestic house in order before further expansion abroad... Incidentally, "stinks" in French is somewhat familiar and kind of cute: pue... A rose by any other name...

Honestly Stevie.....these electronic executives who venture "where no man has gone before" ---the retail world, just manage to destroy what once were viable companies... That jerk from Apple destroyed JCP, and Mikey from Dull Dell is attempting the same with his "international ventures" even though the economy in Europe is "pue" and the exchange rate is killin 'em.....{#emotions_dlg.glare} And instead of a rose....try some pue cheese instead.....since the Q's products are indeed cheesy....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

But come on even for home bound folks without a computer, and think of QVC and their hosts as part of their own family, are you really going to buy your grand child yet another flash pad, lighted race car track, cabbage patch doll, or magnetic blocks---can you hear the kids---"didn't we get the same thing last year, and the year before".....and ditto with a Vitamix, Keurig, Kitchen Aid mixer....are the gift recipients shaking their heads.....or how about an outdated PC or tablet...I can picture the teenage gift recipient rolling their eyes....do you buy the SAME thing over and over and over for your holiday giving.....

Oh but this morning the Q did enlighten me.....how could I have not thought of it....why the absolutely positively PERFECT gift of all times, yes over the heel scraper....A GENIE BRA....and oh what fun trying to guess your recipients bra size!!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

DO YOU GET IT YET---QVC!!!!??????????????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Ah, but Spurt... as the old adage says, the more things change, the more they remain the same, especially here in Q-ville... Or, in French... plus ça change, plus c'est pareil. Hey, they might as well know in advance what they're in for!

And yes, I agree, marketing computers or managing computer company operations has nothing to do with regular retail but really, you can't blame these folks for taking the jobs, blame the ones that thought hiring them was a good idea!

Super Contributor

So programming here will remain the same, cut to the bone, in order to float all of the expenditures to insure the vast array of products, vendors and opportunities for France and their consumers ? Well, I never !!! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Mayhaps Miss R. will wind up in a little chateau in France selling products to the privileged ? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Viva la France.

Honored Contributor

The way some seem to remember QVC as having such great products in the early years is not what I remember. I've never been attracted to the clothing here as it is much too conservative for me so I can't speak to the quality of the clothing now versus then. Much of the jewelry sold was more gold and gemstones but often not that great in quality. I have a jewelry box full of broken earrings that either the posts or wires broke or the tiny gemstones fell out and many rings with such thin gold that the back of the rings are all misshapen! Back then nearly everything shown was interesting because no internet! I bought many many junky items such as the 1st steam cleaner that was a small plastic thing that held about 3/4 cups of water and did nothing more than splatter/dribble water. Then there was the rechargeable scrubber thingy that actually took more effort to use than hand scrubbing! I just found a box full of kitchen gadgets from the early days that were so cheaply made and worthless that I bought in the early days here as well as many pots and pans and cheaply made hand mixers that worked for only a few months!! I didn't buy much for many years in the early days after all those duds. For me, I see the changes made over the years have been great and resulted in better and better products. I now buy much more than I ever did and have no problem with the quality of anything I now purchase!

Super Contributor

The name of the thread is the demise of QVC. If this is correct they only need to change the name of the firm and operate under their new directives.

They are like a lot of companies that take over an established trade name just to get their customer base but they are in reality a new company.

So QVC don't fool anybody. Change your name and we will all get out of here.

Honored Contributor

So, now we all know who that one lucky customer is...

Wink

Speaking purely for myself, I wasn't around back in the REALLY early days, having not become a customer until 2005 or so, but even going no further back that THAT, I recall programming that absolutely did include more merchandise options, and while it was clearly not always stellar and there was a fair share of repeated items and vendors, it was NOTHING like the lethally boring endless loop we see now that relentlessly highlights the same ten or so brands... That same programming provided full product descriptions, did not include frantic hosts squealing, yelling and throwing out corporate mandated buzz-phrases and updates every five minutes, and was both relaxing and pleasant to watch. And you know what, there was an internet back in 2005... I used it to shop and I STILL thought QVC was better, more innovative, interesting and had more to offer then than it does now...

Trusted Contributor

Spending a full hour to sell a vacuum seems insane to me. It's not like it's a concept that's new! The same goes for the more than a blender. To add to that, they will have multiple hours in the same day devoted to these products. Why not offer a more varied line of products? It's almost as if the Q feels if they beat us over the head with these products, we'll purchase them. Maybe they haven't figured out we know where the off button is on the remote.