Super Contributor

Re: Sharon just referred to the Northern Nights sheets as ""Gentile"".

On 4/30/2014 SPURT said:

That's "dear" Sharon she has a know it all attitude, especially when it comes to words.....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

During a Jacqueline Kennedy Jewelry Show, Sharon rudely corrected Phillip Katz (the vendor) regarding his pronounciation of a certain word.....and Phillip cited a reference and corrected Sharon right back....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}...WTG Phillip

I can't stand Sharon as a host, and when I see her I change the channel!

ITA! I can't watch her. She seems so phony and snooty.

Honored Contributor

On 4/29/2014 cyndog said: I would think she meant genteel, even thought she might have mispronounced it. I fast forwarded through the show so I missed it.

I didn't watch, but I am assuming that is how she pronounced it and "genteel" is what she meant to say. She was a better host years ago; not as good now. I cannot watch her on the food shows.

Frequent Contributor

While I don't think that it might have been quite the correct descriptive, at least she was trying to vary her patter. So many have complained about stock phrases that she should be given credit for the ol' college try, don't you think? And really, in the great scheme of things, it gave the feeling of posh ... good for sheets, right?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/genteel

Super Contributor

Can sheets be genteel? I don't think so.
Super Contributor

They let Sharon out of the Q kitchen?

Honored Contributor

I see nothing wrong with using the adjective genteel to describe a set of sheets. The word means refined, elegant , or stylish. I'd like sheets that meet those descriptions.

Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 mominohio said:

I see nothing wrong with using the adjective genteel to describe a set of sheets. The word means refined, elegant , or stylish. I'd like sheets that meet those descriptions.

There is nothing wrong with the adjective "genteel." The point here was that she apparently said "Gentile" instead. No biggie, but that was the the point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

There is nothing wrong with the adjective "genteel." The point here was that she apparently said "Gentile" instead. No biggie, but that was the the point.

Actually, "the point" here is that so far, no one who responded has seen the video, and OP has never answered the question as to how the word was pronounced. We aren't even sure at this point how the word was pronounced, therefor we don't know which word for sure was actually spoken. There is even the possibility that the OP has spelled one word when meaning the other.

At least two posters offered their opinion that they don't think that the word genteel is proper to describe sheets. I was simply responding to the fact that I feel it is a perfectly good adjective to use for describing sheets.

Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Actually, "the point" here is that so far, no one who responded has seen the video, and OP has never answered the question as to how the word was pronounced. We aren't even sure at this point how the word was pronounced, therefor we don't know which word for sure was actually spoken. There is even the possibility that the OP has spelled one word when meaning the other.

At least two posters offered their opinion that they don't think that the word genteel is proper to describe sheets. I was simply responding to the fact that I feel it is a perfectly good adjective to use for describing sheets.

First, I took the OP at face value and inferred that she was indeed saying that the host uttered "gentile."

Second, now that I think of it, I do not think that "genteel" is a particularly apt adjective to describe sheets or any other object. It's origin is the French "gentil," which means "high-born" or "noble." In terms of usage, it is more correctly used to describe a person and/or his or her qualities, such as manners. But if she did indeed either say the word or meant to say the word, I wouldn't have given it much thought because I think they have a tough job coming up with new descriptions.

If she said "Gentile" instead, which is what the OP stated, I would have just chuckled at most.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I was also wondering if she said 'gentile' or 'genteel'. Makes a pretty big difference. Smiley Happy