Honored Contributor

Sandra Bennett Explains the Q50 Vegas Trip

[ Edited ]

"Hi friends! I was just cleaning my house after being away but something is on my mind. I’ve been seeing a lot of people post negative comments asking why we were in Vegas, what was the point, what a waste of money, etc. I haven’t really seen it on my page, but I’m seeing it on QVC and other host pages. Maybe we should have explained better. Although it was the official kickoff for the Age Of Possibility and involves some publicity, most of It wasn’t really for press or television. It was a work conference, like I’m sure so many of you have gone on. As you know, Vegas is a good place for conferences and businesses have them there constantly. It was a chance for the 50 women to get to know each other, learn from one another and get pumped up for things we have coming up. Because most of the Q50 are business leaders, activists or entertainers from outside of QVC we wanted them to understand what it was all about. We didn’t know if we would do any shows from there, but decided to do four hours of programming. So, that’s why we went to Vegas and I think all of the attendees came away moved and inspired by the power of QVC as a destination for women over 50. Love this community."

There, you have it.

Unfortunately, some of the hosts teased this for weeks and got shoppers thinking AMAZING things were coming for them.  But it was always a QVC employee conference, that turned into a few on air shows as an after-thought for viewers.

I enjoyed the Vegas shows.  But I can definitely see how this debacle of miscommunication upset so many.
Respected Contributor

Re: Sandra Bennett Explains the Q50 Vegas Trip

Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting.  I am an avid QVC shopper, have been since almost their beginning. I don't plan on stopping.  However, I don't believe this story. To me, it's an obvious attempt to "walk back". Maybe there was a business conference, but it was used as a huge sales tactic for certain. I just today received a pamphlet in the mail touting this event.  Why spend to print thousands of pamphlets and postage to mail them if not to promote this.

Honored Contributor

Considering the hoopla surrounding the event, 4 hours of broadcasting time doesnt seem like much. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call it whatever you want...the optics were not good. I think she and all the rest will get pushback on this.

Respected Contributor

I think it was an effort to get QVC's finger on the pulse of what is happening in the 50+ category. I do believe it was some sort of conference to understand the clientel and the needs to be met in today's marketplace.

I

Trusted Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting.  I am an avid QVC shopper, have been since almost their beginning. I don't plan on stopping.  However, I don't believe this story. To me, it's an obvious attempt to "walk back". Maybe there was a business conference, but it was used as a huge sales tactic for certain. I just today received a pamphlet in the mail touting this event.  Why spend to print thousands of pamphlets and postage to mail them if not to promote this.

ITA @PhilaLady1 ; sounds like a walk back to me too.   Diverse media advertising for a conference?  Come on.  It fell flat and they know it.  

Respected Contributor

I think the "conference" could have been held in NYC and gotten the same effect.

Super Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Yes, it looks like damage control.  #flop

Esteemed Contributor

After reading her explanation, I am now sure this was meant to dissuade viewers this was all business. It was a learning conference. If that is true, why did they need all the movie stars to join them. Can't they learn from each other?? 

With many customers complaining about prices and policies, they needed to go to Las Vegas to start this promotion. Aren't there nice conference rooms near their business! I really believe they think we aren't allowed to form our own opinions. Just do what is right for your customers, so you keep growing instead of loosing them.

Esteemed Contributor

Wouldn't you love know what she was threatened with to cause her to regurgitate this drivel?

It's going be a long climb back up.