Contributor

10 -10oz. steaks for $146.21 Works out to 6.25 pounds of meat for 23.39 a pound. Are you kidding me? With people out of work and in food lines. Shame on you.  Way over priced.

Honored Contributor

Just because QVC sells them doesn't mean you have to buy them. Not everyone is out of work and some people have money. 

Honored Contributor

While I would never spend that much for steaks, when I can buy them locally for a little less, I have noticed that good beef and even the old bargain  cuts of beef are extremely high.

I am looking at prime rib for Christmas dinner and the cheapest I I have found is $13 a  lb. But the prime, prime rib is about $20 a lb. Prime  rib is pretty fatty, so that's a bit of money for fat that no one will eat.  It will cost be over $200 for my prime rib for Christmas dinner. I want it and I will buy it.

I paid over $5 a lb for a beef bone with very little meat on it to make vegetable soup.  They used to give these away.

When you buy online or through QVC, the price includes a shipping cooler and dry ice and as you know, shipping costs are high as well and you have to pay more to have it overnighted  to you.

At this time of the year, many people will spend a lot of money for good quality meat for their Christmas dinner.  In addition, many people are still working and they still have money to spend.  No one in my family has had a day off of work because of COVID.

I went shopping yesterday and the stores were packed.  It made me uneasy because there we way too many people in the stores and their carts were filled to the brim.

Our liquor and beer stores are always packed as well. There are people who still have money to spend and if there is a market for something, there is nothing wrong with relailers offering expensive items,

I just read where the sale of houses is up and people are buying them for cash.  They are out bidding the buyers who must finance.

You can't  assume, all people are financially hurting or don't have money.

Honored Contributor

Presumably, people who splurge in this manner make comparable donations to their local food banks.

Honored Contributor

@kimber07 wrote:

10 -10oz. steaks for $146.21 Works out to 6.25 pounds of meat for 23.39 a pound. Are you kidding me? With people out of work and in food lines. Shame on you.  Way over priced.

@kimber07. What do people in food lines have to do with the price of steaks?  They, like most things, are for the many people who CAN afford them.  Do you shame someone for buying a Mercedes, a big, new house, nice shoes?  Not all merchandise is for all people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie I agree with everything you posted.  And.........I just ordered the 10 piece "R" Rib Eye Steaks. 

Super Contributor

Honestly?  Not that many people are out of work.  At least not people who buy steaks and expensive items.

My husband has been out of work for 8 months due to the pandemic (energy industry).  We stopped getting pandemic assistance because our state unemployment now has dropped so much it's not considered a crisis. People are buying houses and cars at a frenzied pace. Stores are crowded. People get expensive takeout often.  Unless you work in a restaurant or an industry that was majorly hit life seems to be good for most.

For many people the pandemic has given them more money than before.  They work from home so there is no commuting costs plus they got a stimulus check.  I truly believe we are seeing the divide between haves and have-nots widening even further. There are plenty who will still buys steaks and luxury items.

Regular Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Carmie I agree with everything you posted.  And.........I just ordered the 10 piece "R" Rib Eye Steaks. 

Please give a review.  I read where some had complaints. I hope this won't be the case with you though.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rastelli Steaks

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Presumably, people who splurge in this manner make comparable donations to their local food banks.

@ValuSkr  I believe many or hopefully most who have had no change in their finances realize how fortunate they are do share and help especially during the holidays. If they don't IMHO they should.

Respected Contributor

Shame on who?  No one is holding a gun to anyones head and forcing them to buy.

Yes, people are out of work and money is tight.  That said, it's up to consumers, not the "Q", to watch their spending habits.