Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rachel keeps using 'jonesing' to describe loving different products.

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:
@mom2four418

Thank you. What a bunch of nonsense! Midwestern values!!!!

There is a humbling nature to people who hail from the Midwest in my honest opinion.  They arent extravagant or boastful.  Mary Beth is from Minnesota and Dan from Indiana.  Sometimes people from cosmopolitan regions think too highly of themselves so I enjoy the down to earth nature of some of the older lower key hosts.   I dont care for flash from a host. 

There are people who think too highly of themselves everywhere, even in the Midwest. 

And there are people who are down-to-earth and humble, with good morals, kindness in their hearts, and spirits of generosity with no ego involved everywhere too. 

Amen to that!  I've lived in the midwest my whole life (Kansas) and believe me, we aren't all the friendly, folksy people the stereotype implies. Plenty of rude arrogant people here.

What I found interesting is a friend of ours--a local farmer---took his family to NYC recently for a nice adventure. Now mind you, we here in the Midwest constantly hear stories & stereotypes of how rude and unfriendly New Yorkers are, how they'd rather run you over on the street than look at you! Anyhow, he came home and said NY-ers were the nicest people he'd met and all  the people he encountered were so friendly and helpful. He enjoyed the trip.

@KKJ, I wish I could give this a thousand hearts!

And I'm so glad your friend and his family enjoyed NYC.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Jonesing is in out-of-style slang word for craving.  Rachel's just dating herself.

Contributor

Seriously ?

Highlighted
Contributor

What's old become new again..like all the milennials saying, "That's my jam."  That drives me nuts.  When we first started using that back in the 60's, it meant..." That's my song." A jam is a song. Jam had nothing to do with what you spread on toast. So now they say it for anything, and it makes no sense to me 

Jonesing' is the same way.  It's having a rebirth..

Valued Contributor

In my historical experience, youth in the 70's, jonsing was used to describe an addict who was in withdrawal from a drug. 

Regular Contributor

I think Rachel picks a word for the day and just over~uses it add~nausium

Respected Contributor

The only time I've ever heard that said was when someone was working thru the pain.  When asked what a person did to treat their ailment, their response might be - Nothing.  I just jones'd it.  In other words, just rode it out.  Never heard it used any other way.  Have even heard that term used in songs.  Never in a positive way.

Respected Contributor

@_O_ wrote:

I think Rachel picks a word for the day and just over~uses it add~nausium

She was def. overusing it in the Gourmet show I watched when this topic first posted. It just sounded weird to me   I mean, just say "craving" if that's what you mean. It sounded weird hearing her say  " if you're jonesing for something sweet", etc.

Respected Contributor

one of the best reasons I know for not watching the food shows is the over the top elation for whatever they are serving.

IMO it's a silly phrase, right along with Fri-Yay - being said over and over at the top of their lungs.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm just glad to see NO eating !  All that shoving food into there mouths like they haven't eaten in a week !    I mean Alberti and Rachael im referring to them not any other host.  I enjoy watching the food shows when I do now that they are not able to eat on camera any longer ,  keep it that way I say😉