Honored Contributor

Where or at what point did the word attitude ALWAYS have a negative conotation?

For example:that person has an attitude-so is it a bad or good one?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Frequent Contributor

"attitude" usually means spunk, while "an attitude" usually means "not with th err program"'

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Where or at what point did the word attitude ALWAYS have a negative conotation?

For example:that person has an attitude-so is it a bad or good one?

@Group 5 minus 1, not sure what you're getting at here, but surely you know that your example of the use of the word "attitude" has a negative connotation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 - I think it's been at least since the '80s—I feel like "attitude" started being a replacement for "arrogance" or "cockiness" around that time. When "attitude" is used in a positive sense, it virtually always has a positive adjective in front such as "good attitude." I definitely still hear people say "bad attitude" and "negative attitude," though.

Honored Contributor

Thanks loriqvc

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I hear of a great number of people who have a great attitude about their situation in life, tho it may be difficult.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's all context.  It's pretty easy to hear a person say 'attitude' and know if they mean it as a compliment or diss.  

Respected Contributor
Good point. Probably about the time “that’s sick” got a good connotation. I missed the transition.
Respected Contributor

I was called feisty by Ex-Mother -in law. She was talking to my kids when their Dad died and she said that I was feisty when I was young, since I wasn't there I don't know what she was referring to. What would you get from that remark. ? My oldest son said that I should take as a compliment.