Honored Contributor

@jeannetoo -

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. It just struck me as very funny.

For a real answer to your real question-

all but one of the as is things I've ordered over the years was like new including the packaging.

This included fashion, jewelry and home decor.

I don't think they ever intentionally send out anything that is damaged or defective and if it ever is, you notify customer service and let them know you are returning and should not be charged return shipping.

Then you have to make sure you are not charged return shipping so watch your credit.

If you are, you call CS again and make sure they take off that charge.

The one thing I got that was damaged was a Kirk's Folly necklace that was detached in the box. They sent me a new oneSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have ordered two "as is" swimsuit coverups and one pair of " as is" shoes from QVC.

All items were perfect and included all of the original tissue paper, boxes and bags and tags.

I have no idea why they were "as is" items.  They were not worn, dirty, damaged or stinky.

Respected Contributor

@jeannetoo   I have ordered many items "as-is".  About 95% of them are in brand new condition and most look like they are just out of the original packaging.  

I've heard horror stories about used clothing, but if you get something in that condition, I would call CS and return it.  

The ONLY time I have ever paid for return shipping is when I have changed my mind.  Any purchase that arrives in bad condition or broken has been returned and I've received a full refund.  

I write in black marker "damaged" or "broken" on the outside of the box if returning items in that condition.  Especially if they are glass.  I think it helps the warehouse staff to separate returns and not ship it out to another customer by mistake or get cut by broken glass when opening the box to verify what was returned.

I've saved a lot over the years by purchasing "as is" items.  Sometimes, it seems like I'm stalking the "as is" section for an item that I want but not willing to pay the full price and most of the time, it eventually has ended up being available.....and even better when I find it on a "free shipping" day! 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Re: QVc terminology

[ Edited ]

Could be worn a couple times or could be brand new.  You never know until it arrives.  I've ordered alot of as is clothing.  97% of it was brand new never worn.  If something is wrong with the clothing, Mark it as dAmaged and return.

Honored Contributor

I ordered some "As Is" products...all in like new condition except two that were damaged.  Marked "damaged" on the return slip and wasn't charged shipping.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Honored Contributor

I have ordered many "as is" products and have never received anything damaged.  A few were repackaged but were as good as new.  I think most are just samples shown in programs - like clothing on the racks and samples of the different colors of things.  I got several pairs of shoes that did not look like they were even tried on.  I cannot imagine any badly damaged would be sold and why anyone would buy badly damaged merchandise!

Respected Contributor

@jeannetoo wrote:

What exactly does AS IS mean when browsing thru clothing etc.  Is this badly damaged merchandise?

@jeannetoo  I have ordered tons of "as is" products from QVC over the years and only had to return 4 items...1 was a totally "badly damaged disaster" (flocked wreath from Bethlehem Lights) and the other 3 (Valerie Parr Hill items) were exchanged for better/new products. I have never had any issues returning/exchanging "as is" item and even used the QVC return label without charge. You just have to decide if you want to take the challenge.

SN: always compare prices because some of the "as is" prices are almost the same as some "regular priced" items and don't forget about the shipping costs. I usually place "as is" items on my wishlist and wait for free shipping days...the only downside is the "as is" item may be sold by the time Q offers free shipping LOL.

Honored Contributor

You do take your chances with As Is but most times when I order as is, the merchandise is in perfect condition. I order quite a lot of as is because I hunt for items (mostly clothing) that I find I'd like to have but will not pay full price for - just as in B&M.

Have I had a couple of dingers? Oh you bet I have but the really good lesser expensive well out weighs the not so much. 

Valued Contributor
I’ve ordered several As Is Dooney purses that have arrived in perfect condition.
Honored Contributor

I think the people who repackage these AS IS products need to be retrained . Why would someone send out a product say shoes, that are muddy and smelling. That was my experience with ordering AS IS shoes. I would never order AS IS shoes again, but I have ordered higher end AS IS items that come through like new.