Honored Contributor

Re: QVC should have learned from JCPenney

I do not have to watch Q to purchase.  I only purchase certain things so I just go to the presentation on line.  I enjoy presentations on Evine so I will watch them.  JtV I will watch  their presentations because they are so knowledgeable.  I do have my favorite hosts.  I cannot sit and watch all of them lol. Hsn I enjoy their presentations.  Basically Q is all over the place with their presentations.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Good luck with that... QVC has been getting meaningful feedback about their not particularly popular management choices now for the better part of the last decade and have made very few attempts to address the many concerns or solid suggestions tendered. Instead, as a retail entity they seem to continue on a downward spiral and pretty much any effort they now make to try to salvage their operation and move forward might well prove to be too little too late. I was once a regular viewer and somewhat prolific shopper, but have moved on and don't see myself coming back in any significant way. From their pricing to their ongoing costly and glitchy shipping to their redundancy to their dreadful website to their frantic host and vendor behaviors, QVC has a lot to do to once again become a viable option and, I would add, six or so hours a night of repeat presentations of over-priced candy apples is not a step in the right direction... I also agree with those who suggest TV based shopping might well have already seen its zenith and is simply becoming increasingly passe...

@stevieb 

But if TV shopping is really passe then why is "King Amazon" continuing to experiment with it and trying to get it to work and have some sort of version of QVC (as their press release said)..So there must be some merit to see a vendor demonstrate a product live and answer questions live...I just dont see Amazon throwing money away for nothing....

QVC is living in a retail version of the Christmas Carol and like the ghost of the future pointed out to Scrooge, if QVC doesnt make some changes and mend its ways it will go the way of Montgomery Wards, Sears, Kmart and many other retailers.....

@Spurt  Amazon has been exploring media based shopping for a long time and in the meantime has evolved an incredibly diverse empire. One might suspect that if they ever do venture into some sort of media arrangement it'll look very different than what we we've historically come to think of as 'TV shopping'... QVC (and the others) meanwhile, keep doing the same old same old and yes, agreed, if they don't soon come up with a viable paradigm shift, their days might well be numbered...  Incidentally, I'm not a huge Amazon fan... Their website might work well almost all the time, but is somewhat limited in product information. They do, however, have a far more capable order fulfillment model and offer unprecedented variety.

@stevieb 

Yep your right if Amazon develops some sort of permanent live shopping production they certainly wont make the same mistakes as "Mikey & Co".......and Amazon will take a more realistic approach than the dream world that QVC Execs live in......

Although I'm also not a fan, you have to give Amazon credit they do variety well and they got the warehouse and shipping thing down pat.... Amazon has a big warehouse facility here between our city near a small town called New Braunfels....They have commercials all the time saying that they are hiring with good benefits, but they do emphasize it is a super fast paced, physical position .......in other words you must work your tail off....but they will even pay for you to go to school so you can leave (as they say in the commercial).....LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Big and old established companies don't learn anything from their customers and then they wonder why they fail. I figure that JC Penney won't be around much longer and Sears in the U.S. won't be either.

Sears Canada is gone and I think Hudson's Bay won't be around in 5 years either. HBC just sent me a marketing email wanting my input into how to make them a better retailer. I have no intention at this point of letting them data mine me. I don't care if HBC fails.

So what will happen to QVC in the future? Who knows but I predict that Qurate will not be reporting great numbers in their next quarterly reports and I bet shipping problems will be part of it. I also predict that HSN's days are numbered.

Honored Contributor

@SpurtSo true.  I follow JCP's financials, not because I shop but because I know a family in which 3 once had management positions with them.  That family could be a story in the ways dying and dead retail affects individuals.

Occasional Visitor

I am big QVC shopper and like you , I want them to succeed.  The move to rerunning TSV all night  will cost them sales.  I used to turn QVC on in the middle of the night if I couldn't sleep which was often  .  Many a purchase has been made during those early hours, perhaps even some  I would not have made in the more awake hours LOL   it would be interesting to know how many sales dollars they got from me in the middle of the night.  Now QVC is not even turned on.  Good for my pocketbook but likely not good for their sales strategy.  
The  second change they have made that absolutely has already cost them sales is getting rid of gift wrapping option.  I loved using this as I live thousands of miles from my sister and other family members.  I am not going to pay for shipping twice, once here to wrap it and a second time to ship it to her.  
I expect their sales from me me will be double digit losses.  I am just one person but multiplied by so many others, I think it will have negative consequences on their sales.  For Christmas I will either shop the stores or use other options more, like Amazon which does gift wrap, not a lovely as QVc did but at least they do it.  I won't stop shopping them but I know they have already lost sales from me.  

Respected Contributor

They should have learned but they didn't. The present management team does not listen. Customers have been complaining for years. Still the same old problems, and it is getting worse it seems. Nutty, annoying hosts that shriek, yell, jump up and down and just act unprofessional. Outlandish pricing, stale, old merchandise and vendors. Website changes that do not improve the site. Shipping and return problems that should be able to be fixed by a simple phone call but are not. The list goes on. I very seldom watch QVC now a days and that results in less purchases. When a management company does not listen to its customers there is no way it will survive. Customers will shop elsewhere. At stores and online where it is not so frustrating for them. QVC is its own worst enemy.

Trusted Contributor

I would like to see the numbers for ITKWD.  If his numbers held or increased, that may be why he has other new marquee shows.   However, now that they've been altering these new shows in terms of product line-up, maybe the golden touch has tarnished a bit?  

Valued Contributor

"QVC is its own worst enemy"..... Sums it up in a nutshell. I just returned my last item, what was my last purchase. After a couple decades of shopping everything from mixers to makeup, I'm done. Between Amazon, Sephora and a few Brick & Mortar stores, the Q is no longer convenient.
Valued Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

They should have learned but they didn't. The present management team does not listen. Customers have been complaining for years. Still the same old problems, and it is getting worse it seems. Nutty, annoying hosts that shriek, yell, jump up and down and just act unprofessional. Outlandish pricing, stale, old merchandise and vendors. Website changes that do not improve the site. Shipping and return problems that should be able to be fixed by a simple phone call but are not. The list goes on. I very seldom watch QVC now a days and that results in less purchases. When a management company does not listen to its customers there is no way it will survive. Customers will shop elsewhere. At stores and online where it is not so frustrating for them. QVC is its own worst enemy.

Perfectly said! The only thing I would add is the fact that I've been saying their decision to go to constantly repeating the TSV overnight from 2a-7a EST, well now 3a-7a EST (just noticed tonight they have now started staying live until 3a) was not a good decision for them, as I see they've started staying live longer! Imagine that!

~ Hope in TN ~