Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC should have learned from JCPenney

@stevieb wrote:

Good luck with that... QVC has been getting meaningful feedback about their not particularly popular management choices now for the better part of the last decade and have made very few attempts to address the many concerns or solid suggestions tendered. Instead, as a retail entity they seem to continue on a downward spiral and pretty much any effort they now make to try to salvage their operation and move forward might well prove to be too little too late. I was once a regular viewer and somewhat prolific shopper, but have moved on and don't see myself coming back in any significant way. From their pricing to their ongoing costly and glitchy shipping to their redundancy to their dreadful website to their frantic host and vendor behaviors, QVC has a lot to do to once again become a viable option and, I would add, six or so hours a night of repeat presentations of over-priced candy apples is not a step in the right direction... I also agree with those who suggest TV based shopping might well have already seen its zenith and is simply becoming increasingly passe...

All night of anything is too much.   It is sad what is happening. 

Contributor

I totally agree with overstock on many products.  The warehouse must be bursting at the seams with product that is over shown on kitchen shows -- those EVOO bottles have been on for at least 3 years.  Germack changes it's configurations, but it is still OVERLOAD with product demonstrations. 

Respected Contributor

@SewHappy2 

I agree with your post.  However, I complained many years ago and gave them my suggestions.  

They didn't listen. I'm no longer a shopper.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@SewHappy2 

I agree about the all night TSV re-run.  Why?  Because I live in Hawai'i & the TSV re-run start time is 8pm local time.  That's not overnight for HI customers.  I admit during the work week I'm generally in bed between 8-8:30pm so it's no big deal, but on Friday & Saturday night when I like to stay up a little later I would rather see a live show than a re-run.

Yes, they should ditch all the extra channels & go back to 1 QVC.  Well, selfishly I do ❤️ the beauty channel because most of my QVC shopping is beauty & fashion. 🤪

I like that you pointed out that there are those of us who do like QVC.  This weekend has been a lazy weekend with a sick husband, so I've spent more time on the boards than usual.  All I read is the negativity against QVC.  Geesh...that gets old.

I ❤️ QVC but no organization is perfect.  If these changes start to affect their bottom line in a negative way, changes will be made.

@SurferWife 

Its already impacting QVC's bottom line and customer negativity matches their decline in revenue and sales....  People could easily walk away but by commenting people show that they want to keep QVC as a retail option, but also want to see some changes .......Customers are letting them know why they are buying and watching less....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@SewHappy2That plan certainly tanked -  but JCP was having problems even before they hired Mr. Apple.   Still do -  just saw them on a list of companies needing a good holiday season --along with Macy's, Nordstrom, Kohl's, and more.

It's a sad time for those of us who like shopping traditional retail and probably even sadder for someone with aspirations for a career in retail.  

@millieshops 

Yes JCP was struggling before they hired Mr. Apple, but Mr. Apple put them in a worse hole then what they were in already---doing away with things customers liked so they havent even been able to get back to square one before Mr. Apple entered the picture....Their store at a huge very successful and busy shopping center here is a shadow of its former self---very few home goods, linen and bath items, kitchen items.....Sephora is now in the JCP store....

Sephora has had a presence in many JCP stores for a long time. It's not a new partnership but goes back for more than a decade...

Under the premise that everything old is new again, I'd like to see JCP try issuing their mammoth catalog again and some of their smaller 'specialty' catalogs... I'd much rather thumb through a catalog at my leisure than have to scroll through page after page of a bad website... and JCP's is not among the better retail websites...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Good luck with that... QVC has been getting meaningful feedback about their not particularly popular management choices now for the better part of the last decade and have made very few attempts to address the many concerns or solid suggestions tendered. Instead, as a retail entity they seem to continue on a downward spiral and pretty much any effort they now make to try to salvage their operation and move forward might well prove to be too little too late. I was once a regular viewer and somewhat prolific shopper, but have moved on and don't see myself coming back in any significant way. From their pricing to their ongoing costly and glitchy shipping to their redundancy to their dreadful website to their frantic host and vendor behaviors, QVC has a lot to do to once again become a viable option and, I would add, six or so hours a night of repeat presentations of over-priced candy apples is not a step in the right direction... I also agree with those who suggest TV based shopping might well have already seen its zenith and is simply becoming increasingly passe...

@stevieb 

But if TV shopping is really passe then why is "King Amazon" continuing to experiment with it and trying to get it to work and have some sort of version of QVC (as their press release said)..So there must be some merit to see a vendor demonstrate a product live and answer questions live...I just dont see Amazon throwing money away for nothing....

QVC is living in a retail version of the Christmas Carol and like the ghost of the future pointed out to Scrooge, if QVC doesnt make some changes and mend its ways it will go the way of Montgomery Wards, Sears, Kmart and many other retailers.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt   You are correct, I think.  I'm an Amazon Prime member but I can get two day delivery, or next day delivery to my door from Walmart with free shipping with a minimum $35.00 order.  And Walmart is increasing the number and variety of "next day" items and indicates the time by which to order to obtain them.  Amazon's prices are not as good as the things I'm ordering from Walmart.  

So I've been using Walmart about once a month (since I don't drive) for heavy non perishable items like 30 pound bags of cat food and things I can't find or can get less expensively than from my grocery chain--Harris Teeter--around the corner.  I like buying very large bottles of  Dawn and All pure detergent and refills of Febreze, and ten pound bags of rice, as examples.  Many condiments are less expensive, too.

Last month I thought I'd try Target but their website is as "glitchy" as QVC's is so I gave up trying to place an order with them.

It is fairly simple to use Walmart's website and get to the $35.00 minimum.  Almost all of my Halloween candy came via the Walmart service and some from Boxed via the Zulily website.

All this is just to say there is a lot of competition for our shopping dollars today and the merchant that is not at the top of the game is going to lose out since the customer controls her own wallet and can shop and "click" elsewhere so easily and Amazon knows this, hence the commercials to attract customers for the crucial fourth quarter sales. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@SewHappy2That plan certainly tanked -  but JCP was having problems even before they hired Mr. Apple.   Still do -  just saw them on a list of companies needing a good holiday season --along with Macy's, Nordstrom, Kohl's, and more.

It's a sad time for those of us who like shopping traditional retail and probably even sadder for someone with aspirations for a career in retail.  

@millieshops 

Yes JCP was struggling before they hired Mr. Apple, but Mr. Apple put them in a worse hole then what they were in already---doing away with things customers liked so they havent even been able to get back to square one before Mr. Apple entered the picture....Their store at a huge very successful and busy shopping center here is a shadow of its former self---very few home goods, linen and bath items, kitchen items.....Sephora is now in the JCP store....

Sephora has had a presence in many JCP stores for a long time. It's not a new partnership but goes back for more than a decade...

Under the premise that everything old is new again, I'd like to see JCP try issuing their mammoth catalog again and some of their smaller 'specialty' catalogs... I'd much rather thumb through a catalog at my leisure than have to scroll through page after page of a bad website... and JCP's is not among the better retail websites...

@stevieb 

Well Sephora may have had a presence in many JCP stores for a decade but this was a fairly recent addition I think it was a way to bring in a younger demographic to the store since beauty seems to be a big seller with that age group.....and Sephora wanted a presence in that busy busy shopping center to compete with Ulta......

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

But if TV shopping is really passe then why is "King Amazon" continuing to experiment with it and trying to get it to work and have some sort of version of QVC (as their press release said)..So there must be some merit to see a vendor demonstrate a product live and answer questions live...I just dont see Amazon throwing money away for nothing....

QVC is living in a retail version of the Christmas Carol and like the ghost of the future pointed out to Scrooge, if QVC doesnt make some changes and mend its ways it will go the way of Montgomery Wards, Sears, Kmart and many other retailers.....

@Spurt  Amazon has been exploring media based shopping for a long time and in the meantime has evolved an incredibly diverse empire. One might suspect that if they ever do venture into some sort of media arrangement it'll look very different than what we we've historically come to think of as 'TV shopping'... QVC (and the others) meanwhile, keep doing the same old same old and yes, agreed, if they don't soon come up with a viable paradigm shift, their days might well be numbered...  Incidentally, I'm not a huge Amazon fan... Their website might work well almost all the time, but is somewhat limited in product information. They do, however, have a far more capable order fulfillment model and offer unprecedented variety.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Spurt   You are correct, I think.  I'm an Amazon Prime member but I can get two day delivery, or next day delivery to my door from Walmart with free shipping with a minimum $35.00 order.  And Walmart is increasing the number and variety of "next day" items and indicates the time by which to order to obtain them.  Amazon's prices are not as good as the things I'm ordering from Walmart.  

So I've been using Walmart about once a month (since I don't drive) for heavy non perishable items like 30 pound bags of cat food and things I can't find or can get less expensively than from my grocery chain--Harris Teeter--around the corner.  I like buying very large bottles of  Dawn and All pure detergent and refills of Febreze, and ten pound bags of rice, as examples.  Many condiments are less expensive, too.

Last month I thought I'd try Target but their website is as "glitchy" as QVC's is so I gave up trying to place an order with them.

It is fairly simple to use Walmart's website and get to the $35.00 minimum.  Almost all of my Halloween candy came via the Walmart service and some from Boxed via the Zulily website.

All this is just to say there is a lot of competition for our shopping dollars today and the merchant that is not at the top of the game is going to lose out since the customer controls her own wallet and can shop and "click" elsewhere so easily and Amazon knows this, hence the commercials to attract customers for the crucial fourth quarter sales. 

@aroc3435 

Very well said..... and your exactly right if retailers dont adapt they lose....And Amazon may play one too many pricing games--- they lower their price on one item to beat a competitors sale, but then they raise the price on others to make up the difference and an Amazon Exec was brass enough to say that consumers always think Amazon always has the lowest price so they dont comparison shop....but I think more and more people ARE comparison shopping these days.  And Walmart is upgrading their merchandise and making available merchandise from more prestiguous stores too...like partnering with Nordstrom.....