Frequent Contributor

QVC really charging shipping on a $6,000 ring, lol?

Was watching a gemstone show last night on QVC and I had to chuckle when there was a really expensive ring that was being sold for about $6,000 and the shipping and handling was 5.50.

C'mon, QVC, someone spends that kind of money, at least pick up the 6 bucks and give them the shipping for free!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC really charging shipping on a $6,000 ring, lol?

@FishandSnail 

years ago  on  another shopping show SHOPNBC , you didn't have to pay tax on Any  gold  or gemstone till the law was recently changed so when you add all the tax on an expensive item - does QVC return the tax amount to the customer If you return an expensive item ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Qvc's S&H fees are not high compared to other places, for example ShopHQ charges $14+ for theirs. The S&H also includes insurance coverage fees.

ETA-

Nothing is free. If the Q sold it with free S&H then they would probably raise the price of the item by $5.50...at least.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Although I agree with 99% of what you post (always enjoy reading your suggestions) I disagree with you on this one. If I were to purchase an item and a new customer purchased the same item they would get free S&H and I would not. So occasionally you stumble across something that is free. 

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee   I agree with you 100%.  Nothing is free when it comes to companies that sell merchandise.  The calculated cost of the product always takes into consideration the labor, material, transportation, selling, paying their employees.  Just imagine selling a product then the host/hostess will bring up how many items have been sold.  Thousands!  QVC would lose in dollars if they actually didn't charge shipping and not raise the item price.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I am going to spend 6,000 on a ring, another $5.50 would not bother me at all.

Esteemed Contributor

If I were to spend that, they should overnight it and have me sign for it too.

Valued Contributor

Thats cheap.

I spoke to a customer service team member, as they are called these days and we were making small talk while she was waiting for her computer screen to come up,

We were talking about insurance on returns,

I asked her what they insure their items for, she said "we don't"<<<

To which I said, then why should we have to?

She said, because if it doesn't make it back to them, "oh well on us".....

So, now I see this post for a 6,000.00 ring and the postage is only 5.50? No signature required?

Thats pretty ridiculous...

Regular Contributor

@Reilley wrote:

@SilleeMee   I agree with you 100%.  Nothing is free when it comes to companies that sell merchandise.  The calculated cost of the product always takes into consideration the labor, material, transportation, selling, paying their employees.  Just imagine selling a product then the host/hostess will bring up how many items have been sold.  Thousands!  QVC would lose in dollars if they actually didn't charge shipping and not raise the item price.

But they can offer every new customers potentially hundrends of dollars in free shipping over 3 1/2 months. And they are paying the same price as long time customers for the item.

Honored Contributor

The free shipping deal for new customers is only a temporary thing so it's sort of dosen't count in the regular Q shopping scene. The promo will end and maybe the Q will gain some new customers b/c of it and then things will go back to paying for S&H as usual.