Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

[ Edited ]

One of the big reasons Sears, as well as JC Penny and a few other, are having trouble and/or going under is mainly because of Amazon and I guess in a smaller way you can throw in there the TV Shopping networks.  It's just so much more convenient to shop on line. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've read quite a bit about Sears in the last year as Sears Canada which was also owned by Eddie Lampert basically went bankrupt and stiffed the Canadian pensioners and workers. I suspect that he will do the same to the American workers and pensioners.  I've also read that he basically was a crappy CEO who dictated from afar and only visited the Sears headquarters once a year. Sears was on a long path to demise, it didn't just happen overnight.

I feel sorry for the workers but I can't say I'll feel sorry when Sears and Kmarts all close. I haven't been inside a Sears in the U.S. in a few years, the last time was to get a keychain garage door remote. The local guy who fixes my garage door springs can get me a replacement remote so I don't need Sears. I haven't been inside a Kmart store in the U.S. in more than 10 years. I won't miss them.

As to QVC/HSN, Evine in the U.S. and The Shopping Channel in Canada, those tv channels are going to become the horse and buggy of digital sales. Nobody wants to spend hours watching live tv to shop. The prices and shipping are more than other retailers. Everyone wants a bargain.

I cannot imagine that any TV retailer shopping network will be able to lure in millennials whatsoever to shop with them regularly. I suspect that TV shopping will go away eventually.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it wasn’t the most eloquent wording but I don’t disagree with her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 

No, QVC is not headed down the path of Sears.  What happened to Sears was a long time coming and has nothing to do with not adapting with the times and shipping but rather the individual who hired to helm the company and tanked it.

Respected Contributor

Today I did an experiment. I ordered 1 item from QVC and 1 Item from HSN. I used the same method of payment. I am now tracking how long it will take to receive the items. They are both a pair of earrings. May the best company win!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

30+ years ago when QVC and HSN started, shopping from TV was a novelty and fun.  Now we have Amazon and every retailer has its own website.  No longer the need for shopping from TV.  There are very few items sold on TV that cannot be found at other retailers usually at a cheaer price.  Unless it comes up to other retailers standards, e.g., fast shipping, free shipping, etc. I doubt any of the TV shopping stations will be around for another 30 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 

No, QVC is not headed down the path of Sears.  What happened to Sears was a long time coming and has nothing to do with not adapting with the times and shipping but rather the individual who hired to helm the company and tanked it.

And why did he tank it?  Because he refused to get with the times.   The stores and merchandise were horribly outdated.  The stores were downright depressing to be in.  The clothing was cheap and dated looking as were the home items.  Anytime you needed something old-fashioned, Sears was the place to go.

Respected Contributor

Warning:  This is long . . . I won't be offended if any of you skip or just skim . . .

@ShopperL   I don't think TV shopping is over with yet.  Depends on how they adapt to changing practices of their customers.  Seems as if they are trying.

I read a book from the library last December called Bargain Fever by Mark Ellwood.  It has a lot of information about the history of stores, discounting and shopping from the late 1800's to this century.

It's on my list of books to take out again.  I recommend it.

As to Sears I used to go in their stores as an adult--our very first credit card as a newlywed was from them circa 1975 to purchase a color TV, our first ever.  Loved their "revolving" credit.

I think part of Sears' problem was that steadily the non tools/hardware/appliance side of their business was tired.  I was still going into their store and purchasing from them until moving to the mid-Atlantic area last fall.

I used to fill out surveys online for them and told them the women's clothing, especially, seemed either shoddy or too passe.  

Service in store I visited was always good, staff was almost always helpful, etc.  I feel so sad for the employees.  Hope they will get severance pay, and their pension.  Sears used to have profit sharing for their employees too, but that was probably eliminated long ago, probably in the 80's or 90's is my guess.  

A lot of my purchases were from their kitchen department, children's department (great discounts there all the time on their label and well-known brands such as Carter's) Christmas/ yard items, costume jewelry, some fragrance--men's and women's were good and a decent selection of low to mid range brands, like 4711 for men, and usually discounted.  Selection kept dwindling, less brands, and variety.

Their physical appearance--displays and so forth needed refreshing and that was very much neglected.

The women's clothing did improve for a time, but then again declined.  I could stroll from there to Macy's and get much nicer career and casual clothes.  Sears men's and children's clothes and selection did stay good.

The online experience for purchasing was always horrible.  Very "jumpy" not easily navigated, problems accepting "Shop My Way" member number, even sometimes rejecting their own credit card info and not letting the customer know until days after the original confirmation e-mail.  You then had to phone in to confirm info.  If you didn't call in time you got an e-mail that the order had been cancelled.  

When Amazon started and then expanded a lot of competitors were caught flat footed.  If Sears had done the online presence earlier and well they might have had a chance to stay in decent shape.

They certainly had the potential--regional warehouses, etc.--but didn't seize the opportunities.  When the hedge fund types took over I think that was the beginning of the slow, agonizing end and merging with Kmart wasn't helpful, either.

Their auto repair and supply store--a separate building was always good--excellent mechanics, good variety of tires, decent prices, and guaranteeing their work and competetive pricing.

My Significant Other is really downcast--he used to go into a physical store each month to pay his card.  Usually came out with a tool, a clothing item, or some little surprise for me.  Now we pay his bill by phone. 

Respected Contributor

Simply put:

C H I N A

Cheaply made with little concern of longevity.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Easy Pay is helping QVC.  Most shoppers only see the small monthly payment and don't pay attention to how much the product will really cost in the end.  If you don't pay attention you may be paying out hundreds of dollars to QVC and not realize it.

There are many times now when I will watch a presenation but may purchase the product elsewhere because I can get free shipping and the price may be less than the Q.  

Q really needs to work on getting their shipping costs inline with other retailers.  They are the only retailer I have seen which has a S&H charge attached to each item.  Everyone else basis it on the total purchase cost or weight if the item is oversize.  I rarely pay for shipping on any product I order.