Reply
Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎05-06-2012

QVC heading down the Sears path?

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

 

I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,866
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

I also feel the show needs to be more light-hearted and FUN --- not pushing to sell everything. Amazing, the Price is only good today, We just sold out the Red Color, etc.

When I started watching the Q in 1995, I enjoyed Kathy Levine - she was FUN - and she was also successful at selling. Also - they need to stop showing one item for 1/2 hour!!!! I also shop on-line and only buy when it's FREE shipping both ways. QVC's prices are a bit HIGH!!!! Most things start at $45 + tax + shipping.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,170
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

[ Edited ]

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

 

  1. I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 


@ShopperL

 

Is this how you feel about your own older generation in your family?

 

Just waiting for them "to die off"?

 

I can't believe I even read that. Glad I'm not one of the elders in your family....SMH.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,289
Registered: ‎05-23-2015

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?


@IG wrote:

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

 

  1. I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 


@ShopperL

 

Is this how you feel about your own older generation in your family?

 

Just waiting for them "to die off"?

 

I can't believe I even read that. Glad I'm not one of the elders in your family....SMH.


You do know we are all going to die , right? I think she was just pointing out that younger buyers have different expectations when they purchase online,

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,003
Registered: ‎08-04-2013

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

Case in Point:  I'm old, I'm going to die, neither of my daughters or granddaughters shop at QVC.  Amazon wins.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 504
Registered: ‎08-28-2018

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

[ Edited ]

I am sure every older person knows they will die, but must others keep reminding them????

 

"That is an insult to all of the "older elderly. population".

 

Yes everyone will  eventually die, but  the elderly most certainly do not need to be reminded of impending death before it occurs.

 

That is not only insulting but causes depression and sadness when QVC members read these type of unkind callous  cold hearted remarks posted on the QVC bb's, and it most certainly saddened and depressed me, and I am God Willing many many decades away from being considered elderly and dying!.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,232
Registered: ‎03-17-2010

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

You may have a point....

 

Sears started carrying cheaply made goods, no leather purses or shoes.  Clothing was very disappointing and going intto the store gave me an excellent idea as to what the quality would be like if I ordered on line and I didn't like what I saw and never went in or ordered and I used to love Sears.

 

Craftsman tools have also gone down hill... they used to hold up and it was rare they broke.  My Motorcycle repair son won't even own one anymore.  He's had more than his share break in his hand whie cranking down.

 

No wonder the stores are closing and on-line purchases aren't competitive.

 

I was watching QVC the other night and knew almost word for word what they were going to say about the (old and tired) products they show us over and over again and wondered why they can't seem to do better than this....  

 

Maybe QVC (or any shopping channel) has just run out of steam.  I mean, people just don't seem to care as much anymore.

*~Smile...... it makes the wrinkles go up.....Unknown~*
Honored Contributor
Posts: 36,462
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

I don't see any resemblance between Sears and QVC.  Their problem is not adapting to change but rather having to skimp on everything from a workable computer system to incentives for customers to cheapo shipping due to their high cost of operating.  I imagine if we were to view all the electronic equipment it takes to broadcast, it would boggle our minds.  Look at the salaries they must pay their salespeople as compared to what the average department store salesperson is paid.  Look at the layers of high salaried management people.  The overhead for an operation like QVC is huge.  They have to accept infomercial types of vendors in order to pay for it all.  Then we complain about boring, repetitive programming.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
Posts: 910
Registered: ‎08-14-2015

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

[ Edited ]

@IG wrote:

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

 

  1. I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 


@ShopperL

 

Is this how you feel about your own older generation in your family?

 

Just waiting for them "to die off"?

 

I can't believe I even read that. Glad I'm not one of the elders in your family....SMH.


LOL,  no worries @IG what @ShopperL dosn't seem to realize is by that time the millienials are "the older" generation they will most likely be right there in front of their computers or TV's shopping away just like this generation.  I know when I was younger I never shopped on line or TV and now I think it's the easiest most relaxing way to shop and I have no doubts they will too.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,219
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?


@Q4U wrote:

You may have a point....

 

Sears started carrying cheaply made goods, no leather purses or shoes.  Clothing was very disappointing and going intto the store gave me an excellent idea as to what the quality would be like if I ordered on line and I didn't like what I saw and never went in or ordered and I used to love Sears.

 

Craftsman tools have also gone down hill... they used to hold up and it was rare they broke.  My Motorcycle repair son won't even own one anymore.  He's had more than his share break in his hand whie cranking down.

 

No wonder the stores are closing and on-line purchases aren't competitive.

 

I was watching QVC the other night and knew almost word for word what they were going to say about the (old and tired) products they show us over and over again and wondered why they can't seem to do better than this....  

 

Maybe QVC (or any shopping channel) has just run out of steam.  I mean, people just don't seem to care as much anymore.


@Q4U

And, very little 14k jewelry now!