Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Studio Tour and Store to Close in August 2019

@ValuSkr wrote:

QVC charges $10 for the regular studio tour, and guests are subjected to a metal detector and bag search.  My guess is that tours and store are victims of a budget cut.  After all. someone was paid to conduct tours.  The store was as someone said - little more than a gift shop.  It contained a tiny sample of items sold on the website.  Of course it was nice to buy inexpensive items, like note pads and pens, as souvenirs for people back home.

Even with these security measures some person could come in and harm others. Some personnel have already had stalkers. With all the shootings in the news these days I am not surprised. 

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

The new ownership wants nothing to do with the "old" QVC ... handwriting's been on the wall for a while now ...    

The times, they are a changing ... starting with that new Q in the Box logo ... and all that junk on the home page ... can it get any more crowded?

Same with HSN ... barely recognizable now ... just a clone of this one.

@SoX  I have to agree, this is more about Qurate having gotten too big for these folksy little sidebars, you know, that sort of put them on the map...  than it has to do with security... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

Sounds like the beginning of the proverbial end.   

All shopping concepts are cyclical, and home shopping is beginning to lose its luster thanks for Amazon, etc.   Who has time to watch most of the nonsense programming--6 months of holiday, 2 months of pre-holiday, and 4 months of the same repeats.

I agree. TV based home shopping had a good run but it's grown incredibly stale and innovative new models are seriously lacking.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

That's a shame.  I went once many years ago and it was interesting to see the sets and some of the hosts and models presenting live. I recall we ran into Steve Bryant on the stairs and he came over and chatted.I also recall I was the only person on the tour which was a little awikward, but also fun.

Valued Contributor

This was on my Bucket List, too, but I never could find anyone to go with me.  I'm the only Q Diva around here.  Now it's too late.

Honored Contributor

It is a different world and environment today than years ago.  No need for either the tour or the BM store.

Contributor

WOW! I called today to see if they had the TSV. Much to my surprise the were closed since Aug. 16. I hope the store and tour employees were offered other positions. I did enjoy going there.

Honored Contributor

We took the tour back in 1998, it was not a gift to Q customers, but it should have been. There was an admission charge. Found it to be a big disappointment, only were taken to an observation deck, saw very little. Year after that we took the HSN tour, it was free and we were taken right up to the cameras, so much better. 

Best part of the Q tour, we met Leah Williams on the parking lot, she was a doll. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

We took the tour back in 1998, it was not a gift to Q customers, but it should have been. There was an admission charge. Found it to be a big disappointment, only were taken to an observation deck, saw very little. Year after that we took the HSN tour, it was free and we were taken right up to the cameras, so much better. 

Best part of the Q tour, we met Leah Williams on the parking lot, she was a doll. 

'

DId you happen to see what kind of car she drove ?  I have always envisioned these hosts driving over priced cars.   

Ive been driving a 2004 model with 197,000 miles on it.  Somehow I dont think a host would be caught dead in a 15 year old vehicle. I follow the Dave Ramsey approach. Dave says you shoud only buy a new car if you are a millionaire.