Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Starting Black Friday Today Two Thumbs Down!

I agree with OP. I'm sick of the "holiday sales" overkill that seems to start earlier and earlier every year. And calling every day of November "Black Friday" is pure hyperbole. I don't follow the "herd" mentality, and l try to ignore it. I vote with my wallet, as we all can do.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

So the Q home page states something to the effect of Black Friday being all month here, starting today.

I know QVC is a for-profit company and I am not a naive person. However, there comes a point of overcommercialization so that I'm totally put off and QVC has reached it.  It was bad enough making Christmas in July, which used to be a one or two-day event, into the entire month of July.  Now we have to "suffer" through Black Friday being rushed to Sunday, November 1st and "celebrated" throughout the month.  Greedy, greedy, greedy.  QVC has gone from standing for Quality Value Convenience to "we want your money - hurry up and give it to us - we'll stop at nothing to get it."  It's a total put-off to me.

QVC has gone from being novel and somewhat classy many years ago back in the '80s when I frst started watching to vulgar and obnoxious about wanting my income.  Two thumbs down for this latest money-grab.

I agree...

I note Amazon too is doing the whole Black Friday for the month thing. If QVC really thinks they can compete with Amazon, I wish then luck... Retailers everywhere will driving us all nuts for the next month with 'pre-Black Friday sales'. I guess it's the nature of the  beast, but QVC has lost it's classy edge in oh so many ways.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@millieshops and others: I think it is naive to think that starting Black Friday deals on November 1st is going to ease the push any come the actual Black Friday.  Then QVC (and others) will be promoting even better deals.  So no, I don't agree with that at all.  QVC is just using the Black Friday lingo and "fever" it connotes to push holiday sales even further and earlier.

I tend to agree. Merely starting the frenzy earlier isn't going to diminish it's intensity. I suspect all it means is a month long frenzy rather than a few days of it...

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

The real problem here is that there aren't any good sale prices on items.  Never.  Waste of time to come here for a good price.

Isn't that the truth!!

Valued Contributor

From a financial perspective "Black Friday" has always been the day when the sales have put a retailer "into the black" for the year.  You can't just take any old day you feel like and start calling it "Black Friday."  It's just ridiculous!

Until very recently, the term was only used by those actually in the business.  Then the media started doing stories on it and somehow retailers decided they could hype the day's sales even more by giving it a NAME. And The craziness just continues to snowball.

(Actually I was happy to see QVC start the "Black Friday" event yesterday.  I needed to get a few of those Serta mattresses for my gift closet.)  Smiley LOL

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

@SHIRAZ

For your gift closet -  too perfect!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHIRAZ wrote:

From a financial perspective "Black Friday" has always been the day when the sales have put a retailer "into the black" for the year.  You can't just take any old day you feel like and start calling it "Black Friday."  It's just ridiculous!

@SHIRAZTHANK YOU!  I absolutely agree.

Respected Contributor

Shiraz said it best.

Respected Contributor

I hit the wall with the Q while getting ready for trick or treaters, on a beautiful Fall day and turned on the tv and the Q had BIG christmas trees in the background .It wasn't even Halloween. I turned it off fast and it totally turned me off too! I enjoy life as it comes and that means enjoying the changing seasons and holidays as they come. I now am getting ready for Thanksgiving (silly me) and I will NOT be hurried to start with Christmas ALREADY. Life flys by fast enough and Q will not make me hurry or think I must buy now for something months away. Please stop the madness Q. IMHO only.

Honored Contributor

And what about the Hallmark channel? They have already begun those cheesy holiday romances. And we don't watch them but miss reruns of the Middle.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....