Honored Contributor

I Truly Hope Dan Wheeler Goes For Grief Counseling

Dan expressed again today on his Facebook page his great grief over the loss of his wife (not surprisingly of course) and also asked for help from people who have gone through this.

I truly hope he goes for some type of grief counseling. He sounds truly devastated upon the loss of his dear wife and, from his request on FB, needs some help coping with her loss.   A very good friend of mine was killed suddenly in a car accident and her husband was also absolutely devastated with her loss.   He joined a "grief group" and actually ended up later marrying someone he met in the group (not that I'm suggesting going for that reason...but that's a true story).   Dan just sounds like he could really use some help coping with his loss - and I hope he gets it and finds either a group or single counselor who can help him get through this sad time for him.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Truly Hope Dan Wheeler Goes For Grief Counseling

I saw that.  It's really early to expect to get over it.  He just needs time.  They must have been very, very close.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

Did not know.  So sorry to hear this.  Seems on a daily basis I am hearing of more and more loss.  Hubby and I are so grateful for each other and can only imagine what he is going through.  Those who I know who have gone through this have found peace... in time with the help of friends and family.  I can only hope he will too.

Honored Contributor

I agree grief counseling is the way to go, I don't think fb is the place to go for help with any thing serious.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think anyone can benefit from counseling after losing a beloved person.  My brother and I went for a few sessions provided by Hospice after our dear mother died.  It had been a long journey, very complicated by many issues and having to constantly having to advocate for her care.  We were grieving for her and also angry and frustrated over having to confront so many issues.  The counselor at Hospice was wonderful and helped us get through

this tough time.  Once Hospice took over Mom's care, it was a blessing.  This counselor was a blessing, as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@baker wrote:

I agree grief counseling is the way to go, I don't think fb is the place to go for help with any thing serious.

ITA that FB is not the place for to get help. Everyone deals with grief in their own way. Dan will find his way. Time is one of the answers. After the grieving process his next step will be getting back to work while trying to move on. Not an easy task.

Super Contributor

I have been going through this since July and grief counseling DOES NOT HELP.  Talking to someone that doesn't know you and telling them your most private thoughts is hard and didn't help me one bit.

Esteemed Contributor

What about his family and his church?    His Minister should be able to help.  The poor man, why FB?  The last place I would go.  Grief Counseling good place to go now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dan will find his way through this just as millions of others have. He has reached out through facebook, and so many of the responses have been amazing to me. Real people who have walked the path that he is just now beginning. Based upon that I believe he will get grief therapy just as he would from a therapist. Dan is utilizing the people through facebook as one resource, yet he also has his daughters, grandchildren, and a strong church based support as well. Bless his heart. I wish the very best for him, and I think he is going to be okay in time. 

Respected Contributor

Everyone is different and needs to find their own way to deal with it.  It's easier for some than others.  Some just plain refuse to try and don't want to.  I'm sure Dan will between his family and his faith, he will be fine.  He is also a very social person so there's that too.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."