Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Casting Call for new hosts?

Hosts need to have thick skin.  They will be called out for their wrinkles, gray hair, nails, feet and body shamed.

They need to not talk about their family, friends, vacations, or pets.  They must remember to not mention that they already have an item.

Ah, if they go on vacation or or out for an illness, they will get called out if they mention it by some and by others if they do not.

They should not talk too fast or too slow and make sure they do not use any regional pronouncations.

All of this for only $125,000.  No thanks.  I doubt anyone would want to torture themselves by taking this job.  And, they could lose it with no prior warning.

I would think this job is difficult.  You get beat up just by  trying to to your job.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Hosts need to have thick skin.  They will be called out for their wrinkles, gray hair, nails, feet and body shamed.

They need to not talk about their family, friends, vacations, or pets.  They must remember to not mention that they already have an item.

Ah, if they go on vacation or or out for an illness, they will get called out if they mention it by some and by others if they do not.

They should not talk too fast or too slow and make sure they do not use any regional pronouncations.

All of this for only $125,000.  No thanks.  I doubt anyone would want to torture themselves by taking this job.  And, they could lose it with no prior warning.

I would think this job is difficult.  You get beat up just by  trying to to your job.

Any job that deals with the public is tough.  People who work in customer service, teaching and law enforcement will tell you about the constant complaints they get from people.  I worked as a teacher's assistant for several years and if a teacher/assistant didn't look like Cindy Crawford the students would make fun of their appearance.  It is part of the job.  If people cannot handle it they should move on to something else.

Respected Contributor

For a currently unemployed or underemployed actor/performer,  I think that this would be a great gig so long as they are willing to relocate. 

And if they plan on it being temporary until the really big break comes along.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Any job that deals with the public is tough.  People who work in customer service, teaching and law enforcement will tell you about the constant complaints they get from people.  I worked as a teacher's assistant for several years and if a teacher/assistant didn't look like Cindy Crawford the students would make fun of their appearance.  It is part of the job.  If people cannot handle it they should move on to something else.

I worked for 25 years in customer service for a health insurance company.  yes, I was verbally abused, but mostly I helped people and they were happy.

My husband was a police officer for 35 years and a deputy sherrif for 15 years.  He was verbally abused too, but mostly he helped people.

Being a host on QVC is different.  The hosts are attacked verbally and in written form about their looks and actions for no specific reason.  Just because people don't care for their personal style or looks.

Teaches, CSR and police officers never get attacked for those things.

I enjoyed my job as a CSR, but no way would I subject myself to the abuse the hosts have to put up with....no way.  The attacks are highly personal and uncalled for.

I know I would have to defend myself....then I would be called rude.  So be it.

Being made fun of by kids in a classroom is different than being made fun of in a public forum or social media and having thousands of people read the comments and join in.

Trusted Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

I believe most companies are always interesting in new talent. My company is always looking for new people for various positions. Who knows what direction qvc is headed. I think the fun is waiting and watching, I once thought I would make a great show host and I had a few interviews and thought...no this isn't for me. 

@Franklinbell Oh, how interesting! Would you share your experience? What was it that brought you to that conclusion?

Regular Contributor

Santorini & IGfan, I agree with both of you. I am hoping Mary Beth Roe, Pat James DeMentri & Jayne Brown can retire gracefully. I fear they will be pushed out by younger hosts and maybe of this current post wtih the casting call.

They are 3 of my friends and fam's fave hosts, but I do feel they would be next on the chopping block, so I hope before that can happen the 3 of them can gracefully retire sometime within the next year or so and go out on their own terms

Honored Contributor

Is Leah in their age group?  And what about Rick? I know how old Jane Treacy is.

Regular Contributor

Leah Williams is 63 and Rick and David are about 60. However, I feel David, Rick, and Jane Treacy are "THE UNTOUCHABLES" and we will be seeing them the rest of this decade of the 2020's. I feel Leah Williams could absolutely be pushed to the group of Mary Beth Roe, Pat, James DeMetri and Jayne Brown. I have some uncanny good instincts and this is my FEAR!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

May 17th is the deadline for applying in this latest QVC "casting call" to be a Program Host.

Interestingly, QVC has Rick offering some tidbits to try to help the prospective applicants:

According to QVC --

The Biggest Don't:

Don't try to be like another host.  Just be exactly, authentically who you are.  Be your energized, vulnerable, confident self.

The Biggest Do:

When it comes to your product, know it!  Don't just look at it; pick it up and use it, play with it.  Know the features & benefits, demo it.  Don't just look at it from afar.  Use it!

Super Contributor

@MrsBrianne ,  I so much agree with you.  Why is Mary doing what she does?  I agree with one of the callers that called in the other day.  She complimented Jayne and Gary about their professionalism.  IMO, Mary Beth, and Leah are also a joy to watch.  Amy also gives it her all and does a good job.