Respected Contributor

Re: Proof of price increases

Tariffs??  That's a stretch, and I can't even believe it was brought up here.  Prices of goods have been rising for a long time.  As far as clothing, which is what this post addressed, I heard years ago that the price of cotton was driving higher clothing prices.  At that same time I noticed how thin the fabric was becoming.  Even fabric sold by the yard has a different feel, and costs more.  The clothing I purchase these days is much different in quality than what I used to purchase.  And, higher priced.  I'm not sure what to think about a retailer who continues to carry the same fashions, and increases pricing.  I guess I have to think that retailer was smart to keep a good supply of the basics, and sell it for whatever price the market will bear.  Sounds pretty smart to me, and good for the consumer that prefers to stay away from the trendy clothes that don't tend to stay in our closets as long.  You may spend more for those items now, but save in the long run. 

Honored Contributor

Don't know why "proof" is needed.

Frequent Contributor

I purchased a pair of candles about 8 months ago when they were the TSV. I liked them and saw them on clearance 3 weeks ago so I ordered another pair. Today, I saw them still on clearance but the clearance price has risen. I have never seen clearance prices rise anywhere else.

Honored Contributor

I waded through a long list of products currently cover by tariffs today and it didn't seem like any clothing or fabrics were included; mostly industrial types of goods.  Then I read this evening that government "experts" expect that eventually all imports from China will be included.  Watch prices soar if that happens.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When you shop in a B&M or department store, sometimes you pay the price that's on the tag (the "manufacturer's suggested retail price" or MSRP."

Sometimes there's a sale, so you get a percentage off-- or dollar amount off -- of that price for a limited time.

Then, at the end of a season, the items are marked down: "permanently reduced" or "clearance."

You never see the B&M or department stores remove the original price tags and replace them with new tags that have HIGHER MSRPs! Or take clearance items and increase their prices!

Yet that is essentially what QVC is doing. Until now, this was unheard-of in the retail world. Woman Surprised Woman Frustrated

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~