Super Contributor

It's not always a location thing on button  and cotton.  I have relatives who leave out the t's and we all live in the same town. Drives me nuts.

Contributor

Your hearing is not keen. She is saying it correctly, NOT DOOR, as you have written. My profession involved International Phonetic Alphabet and transcribing words in English, French, German, Italian, Latin, and Spanish. Listen again to your example. Also, you have to be careful of those online audio/video pronunciation example. Many are pitifully wrong. Just because somebody does it, doesn't make it correct. Stick with Merriam-Webster. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/durable

Contributor

I am not speaking about people's incorrect ways of saying things. There is a correct pronunciation of words. Some things can pass as a local way of saying things, whereas others just show not up to snuff education. 

Contributor

Designers in theory are artists. Part of their color naming falls into the artistic realm. They stretch they boundaries of the standard nameing of blue, red, green, for example giving it a style tweek. I just bought some shoes where they red color was called Vino, which of course is Wine. The Verde is green, but what shade of green? The blue (which was teal actually) was named Navy. It wasn't Navy at all, but that's an artistic aspect of design. 

Super Contributor

This is not a matter of an accent!  It's a matter of looking at a word and not pronouncing the letters in the word!  People who spoke for a living used to be incredibly educated in how to do so...no more!

Super Contributor

@gizmogal , I love it!!!  I was born in Brooklyn New York also. When I moved to Long Island back in 1978, a few people made fun of my pronunciation (in a loving way) .  To this day my friends still     make fun of a few words that I say.  Go BROOKLYN!!!

Honored Contributor

I tried to worsh my clothes today but the far was too hot, and I got tarred of trying.  

Super Contributor

Was it determined what "roof " means?   Are "bagel" and "roof" regional names for paper bag?. If so, what region?

This is all rhetorical @x Hedge .  I'm at sea with you on this one. 

Frequent Contributor

What bothers me the most is when people say te when they mean to.

(Go te the store , instead of, go to the store.)

Esteemed Contributor

I moved from the East Coast to OK, and I first noticed on the radio they referred to their children all as "kiddos." I lived in PA a while, where they called a bag a "poke', and they called all sodas "pop."

In the South, they make no distinction between pin and pen. I just love all the differences.