Contributor

Here's another designer on today pronouncing "durable" as "dohrable". Seriously, "door"? 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe she said adorable??  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Once again, a fellow poster points out the variety and complexity of pronunciation in this great, huge, wonderful country.

At least twice a year my parents packed us into the car and drove us to new destination points in other states. 

As kids, we giggled at all the different accents, and the way people pronounced everyday words.

We'd talk with people each time we stopped the car, and we practiced talking as they did. The adults would laugh (with us) at our attempts to imitate their pronunciation. We also learned they thought WE sounded funny too.☺

BTW, door-uh-buhl is an acceptable pronunciation.

See below.

https://www.howtopronounce.com/durable

Super Contributor

Hey, where I live, we say wooder for water.  Not everyone speaks the way the Dictionary says it should be pronounced.

Honored Contributor

@AreYouSure wrote:

Here's another designer on today pronouncing "durable" as "dohrable". Seriously, "door"? 

Really?  SMH

And this is what bothers you?

Goodness!  Where will we go after 11/2 to gripe about such inconsequential things?

Trusted Contributor

@suziebee1   I am originally from Pittsburgh...they have some funny pronunciations too but I get a kick out of it.  Go Stillers!   

Valued Contributor

So you must "red up the table" as my father, from Pittsburgh, always said.

Respected Contributor

Here is another designer on today....

??????-  Grammar???

Super Contributor

Re: Pronunciation

[ Edited ]

I have trouble with the younger ones trying to say the words button and cotton!  There are absolutely no t's pronounced those words!

Respected Contributor

Can't  understand much of anything Amy says. She needs speech lessons and a voice coach.  And a job behind-the-scenes.  And  a very good salary, of course.