Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE STOP USING THAT EXPRESSION!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this expression is thought to have originated in the early 40's and was heard in a movie, I think it was Mr. Roberts.... and means what you think it means however it has also expanded (believe it or not)....to mean a quick Military Mission that comes in under budget and faster than expected.  

I also think that the meaning is morphing into something general rather than something specific... like something over quickly without the lewd implication.

Our language morphs all the time (whether we like it or not) and the more accepted it becomes, the more it will be accepted....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

Regarding the expression in question....my mind is not in the gutter nor am I reading something into it....maybe old Dean Martin had one line in a song, but after that time, this expression came to mean something demeaning to women - if you read through the posts, you can see others also know what I mean.....it was "locker room talk" used by men generally....if you feel that it does not mean much now, you might respect how others interpret the language...it's unfortunately hard to know what is not acceptable to yuonger women now

Trusted Contributor

That is right up there with rode hard and put away wet, it's not about horses.

Younger hosts were probably sheltered and do not know better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When someone seems to be one can short of a six-pack anyway, they would do well to check out the "Urban Dictionary"...  I seldom pay attention to QVC anymore, but there are just some hosts I cannot watch ...

...facepalm smiley

Honored Contributor

I'm 48 years old, well past the age of typically looking at or going by anything in Urban Dictionary.  However, I did look this up as I have heard the phrase in the past and knew what it meant.  UD has the same definition as I thought it was from years ago. 

There are some phrases that used to be pretty innocent that have now taken on a whole new meaning according to UD.  There are phrases I hear people use all the time and I have no idea what they mean and I'm assuming I could look them up on UD and find out but frankly, they aren't phrases I would use anyhow. 

I have seen people post something on the board and someone else jump in telling them that the word or phrase they just used is derogatory based on UD when that's not what the originating poster meant nor what the word mean until UD came along. 

We had an incident awhile back on our local news where a young morning anchor used a derogatory term to describe music because she didn't know what the term meant.  It was a huge deal and the co-anchor vouched for her and she had to make an on-air apology over it. 

Remember when the girl from Citiknits Myranda used the term "wife beater" to describe a tank top?  As soon as it came out of her mouth Lisa Robertson looked at the camera and told viewers she didn't say it so direct all your e-mails to Myranda.        

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not one who normally uses the Urban Dictionary either - in fact until a couple of years ago, I had never heard of it.  What made me use it the first time was when I posted pictures of a cat (on the Pictures of Just Cats thread) with different little caption signs hung around its neck saying it wanted "tuna".... my pictures were taken down by the moderators - supposedly because they also mentioned "feminisim" which was controversial--really?  But there was a whole VERY long thread about that subject on the boards, so I didn't think that was it.  Someone told me in a circuitous way to look up the word for that food in the Urban Dictionary. That was my introduction to it.  And I told the moderators that I thought it was totally unfair to take down silly, funny pictures of cats because of a very innocent word with no ulterior meaning whatever.  I got a whole new education being on the boards for a couple of years, until I took a year and a half break and just came back to see what's going on now.  So far, so good, but we'll see....

Honored Contributor

I think it has come into general use and it doesn't bother me one bit.  Its like my name, depglass, one website I attempt to frequent doesn't like the last three letters and bounces my name as being "obscene."  So I can't register with them.  I guess I can't continue paying for their paper subscription either.  Nuts.  Another obscene word, I guess. 

Honored Contributor

Occasionally I have heard a host or vendor use the expression "money shot."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Nobody is "sheltered" in this day & age with the internet. The expression has evolved. Not everyone has.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I think it has come into general use and it doesn't bother me one bit.  Its like my name, depglass, one website I attempt to frequent doesn't like the last three letters and bounces my name as being "obscene."  So I can't register with them.  I guess I can't continue paying for their paper subscription either.  Nuts.  Another obscene word, I guess. 

@depglass: Lol. So that website's obscenity filters would censor words like class, pass, associate, assistant, etc.?! Ridiculous!  Woman Surprised

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~