Respected Contributor

I have not ordered anything from any shopping channel for two months. I decided not to order clothing due to high cost of clothing as well as cost of returns. I have almost any kitchen gadget you could name. I don't think about Christmas until November. I have so much jewelry that I love and it is hard to judge quality and gemstone colors on TV. I think many of my purchases in the past were impulse buys. It seems as if I have gradually evolved out of home shopping.

Respected Contributor

@chessylady  Right there with ya, Chessylady...I don't know if it's an age thing with me or just tired of the same old, same old...but I've got enough ''stuff'' to last me the rest of my life....rather feed the hungry children in schools now.

Valued Contributor

I'll be retiring in a little over a year.  During my career I was front and center with people (the public).  Now I have a "behind-the-scenes" job and I, too, am starting to reduce my purchasing.  Once you retire, I mean, really, what do you need?  Why do you need 7 rings, 12 necklaces, lots of skirts, dresses, tops?  Unless you have a very active life after retirement, I really think less is more.  

Salespeople do a good job making us think we "need" everything they sell.  

Respected Contributor

I agree. Any time I see a cute top or a pair of shoes, my first thought is do I need this?

99% of the time the answer is no. So I don’t buy it.

And when I buy something, I donate at least two pieces of clothing to charity.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ordering Less

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

I'll be retiring in a little over a year.  During my career I was front and center with people (the public).  Now I have a "behind-the-scenes" job and I, too, am starting to reduce my purchasing.  Once you retire, I mean, really, what do you need?  Why do you need 7 rings, 12 necklaces, lots of skirts, dresses, tops?  Unless you have a very active life after retirement, I really think less is more.  

Salespeople do a good job making us think we "need" everything they sell.  

I wish I had thought more about my purchasing, especially clothing, before I retired. When I retired I spent hours and hours clearing out my closets of "work clothes". I am still upset at myself. So many of the slacks, tops, jackets, skirts, sweaters and dresses had tags still on them. I filled the car up twice with donated "work clothes". And I still have more clothing than I will never wear. 

I do have quite an active social life now that I retired. But I wear casual clothing.

Honored Contributor

I stocked up on clothes while I still had a paycheck.    Happy I did that before I retired.........especially since prices of clothing have  gone up more than inflation.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@chessyladylol   For the most part, I'm "shopping" in my own closets and drawers these days.  Even after working at simplifying my life for several years, there's still more of almost everything I want or need right here at home.  

Honored Contributor

Recently in Macy's and saw a few items that I liked.  Then realized I already had something similar in my closet.  Agree with others that I have enough clothes to probably last the rest of my life--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I agree with all of you! Most of the clothing I accumulated while I was working are classic pieces of excellent quality. Most of the clothing that’s been offered online and in the stores in the past few years is faddish (frequently described as “trending”), becoming dated by the end of the season. I also have more kitchen gadgets and other stuff than I can use, so I’m trying to cut back on those purchases, too. 

Respected Contributor

I think a lot of people are gradually finding themselves ordering less and less. I have enough clothing for a lifetime. I also love jewelry and could probably start my own jewelry store Woman Happy

Thankfully, most of my purchases great quality and turned out to be good investment pieces. Yes, the prices have increased on all goods over the years. I still shop online for certain items but not as much as I use to.