Honored Contributor

Re: Negative Remarks Regarding Hosts

[ Edited ]

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I would be curious to know what guidelines are set for hosts.  What are they allowed to talk about and how are they evaluated?  I think it has to be a lot more than just sales.  For example, some hosts speak quite a bit about their personal lives, while others are all business.  Some smooze with vendors, while others just provide product information.  Each of us has a preference of what type of hosts we like.  Sometimes we like a person's voice or mannerisms or personality.  I often wonder if the hosts have to watch videos of themselves to see how they come across to viewers.  I've been shopping on QVC for nearly thirty years, so I've seen the good, the horrible and everything else in between.  

@Jaspersmom 

There was an article I read where it said a host got critiqued after a show maybe that's part of the meetings the host talk about in interviews and meetings are not just about upcoming products.....And occasionally you'll even hear a host say, they got in trouble for something they said or got an email for something they said or did....Amy and Antonella are two that come to mind that I heard mention this...

Its interesting how QVC scrutinizes "the look"...and suddenly with a few exceptions the majority of the hosts have gone blonde or have blonde highlights...yet presentation techniques would be ignored????  I don't think so... And CEO, Mike George,  described the presentations as part entertainment and part unrehearsed story telling...and it seems the presentations many of us complain about are either VERY SCRIPTED or ALL ENTERTAINMENT with very little product information other than colors....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I would be curious to know what guidelines are set for hosts.  What are they allowed to talk about and how are they evaluated?  I think it has to be a lot more than just sales.  For example, some hosts speak quite a bit about their personal lives, while others are all business.  Some smooze with vendors, while others just provide product information.  Each of us has a preference of what type of hosts we like.  Sometimes we like a person's voice or mannerisms or personality.  I often wonder if the hosts have to watch videos of themselves to see how they come across to viewers.  I've been shopping on QVC for nearly thirty years, so I've seen the good, the horrible and everything else in between.  

@Jaspersmom 

There was an article I read where it said a host got critiqued after a show maybe that's part of the meetings the host talk about in interviews and meetings are not just about upcoming products.....And occasionally you'll even hear a host say, they got in trouble for something they said or got an email for something they said or did....Amy and Antonella are two that come to mind that I heard mention this...

Its interesting how QVC scrutinizes "the look"...and suddenly with a few exceptions the majority of the hosts have gone blonde or have blonde highlights...yet presentation techniques would be ignored????  I on't think so... And CEO, Mike George,  described the presentaions as part entertainment and part unrehearsed story telling...and it seems the presentations many of us complain about are either VERY SCRIPTED or ALL ENTERTAINMENT with very little product information other than colors....

@Spurt Is that your cat?  I'm Jasper's mom, but my poor guy passed a few years back.  I now have a beautiful tuxedo named Lee Lee. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Spurt.  Ok, I understand the rules now so I will say, Mods, please tell Kirsten to keep her pants a bit higher than she does when demonstrating certain exercise products. 

@proudlyfromNJ 

That's a valid critique... 

And a rule of any Forum or Blog is to watch what you say and how you say it....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

It seems to me that every host I really like and enjoy watching either leaves or gets assigned to an offshoot QVC channel that is not on my cable line-up.  Not many hosts on the main QVC channel that I will even watch, so I don't.  

I wish that we could watch videos of all the bashers and nasty posters here so the rest of us could "critique" every thing they say or wear.  

@tototwo 

According to Mary Beth.---over 17000 people applied for the last host openings ..So I guess with all the negatives and possibility of getting criticized....THEY still chose the career and job.....Critiques are part of any job...whether you work at a bank, an office, a fast food chain, medical field, cable company or in retail, or a TV Shopping Channel...And even at my office a co-worker was criticized by Management on the way she dressed and told her to wear more appropriate attire...

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Jaspersmom 

Its interesting how QVC scrutinizes "the look"...and suddenly with a few exceptions the majority of the hosts have gone blonde or have blonde highlights...yet presentation techniques would be ignored????  I on't think so... And CEO, Mike George,  described the presentaions as part entertainment and part unrehearsed story telling...and it seems the presentations many of us complain about are either VERY SCRIPTED or ALL ENTERTAINMENT with very little product information other than colors....

@SpurtIs that your cat?  I'm Jasper's mom, but my poor guy passed a few years back.  I now have a beautiful tuxedo named Lee Lee. 

@Jaspersmom 

Yep, that's one of my two tuxedo's...Her name is Puddy Kat....she is a sweetheart..

Sorry to hear your little guy passed.Cat Sad...But glad to hear you got a new fur baby and joined the Tuxedo gang (although not an official breed they seem to have a unique personality) ......Cat Very Happy Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt-- hmmm... don't understand your reply to my post...?  But, hey!, at least you didn't bash me.  It's a good thing.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Spurt-- hmmm... don't understand your reply to my post...?  But, hey!, at least you didn't bash me.  It's a good thing.

@tototwo 

This is what I was replying to.."I wish that we could watch videos of all the bashers and nasty posters here so the rest of us could "critique" every thing they say or wear. " 

My point...every job gets critiqued ...and even in office jobs people can get criticized for what they wear...

I try to present my point without the bashing......😉😊

Esteemed Contributor

Well, actually, @Spurt  - I was trying to throw a little snark at the nasty posters here -- not you.  You went in a different direction with it.  OK!  Smiley Happy

Spoiler

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

So many weird things about this popular topic. One I notice is that nobodyever actually comes right out and defends very mean-spirited and personal attacks on a host.

Yet those who post ad nauseam in favor of "freedom of speech" and providing so-called critiques NEVER seem to weigh in against such very mean-spirited and personal attacks.

They just ignore them and instead get incensed about any posts that do decry such comments.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

It seems to me that every host I really like and enjoy watching either leaves or gets assigned to an offshoot QVC channel that is not on my cable line-up.  Not many hosts on the main QVC channel that I will even watch, so I don't.  

I wish that we could watch videos of all the bashers and nasty posters here so the rest of us could "critique" every thing they say or wear.  

@tototwo 

According to Mary Beth.---over 17000 people applied for the last host openings ..So I guess with all the negatives and possibility of getting criticized....THEY still chose the career and job.....Critiques are part of any job...whether you work at a bank, an office, a fast food chain, medical field, cable company or in retail, or a TV Shopping Channel...And even at my office a co-worker was criticized by Management on the way she dressed and told her to wear more appropriate attire...

---------------

Where I was working, there were some very strict standards about attire and behavior.  Our  clients/

customers were the company's bread and butter....no customers meant no jobs.  Every effort was made to get and keep customer/clients happy and their concerns/

criticisms were handled immediately.  I had to send a worker home because her skirt was too short!!  And another year, I had to notify a worker that her top was cut too low and she had to find a jacket to wear over it.

I have always thought that QVC hosts' main job is

to talk and behave appropriately while selling the QVC products.  If their speech or behavior seems inept, viewers will criticise. and management should take notice. Customer's negative commentary could mean loss of sales!!