Esteemed Contributor

Re: Names missing from the program guide again

4 hosts were let go at the same time in July 2020.

I bet all their contracts were not up.

Even with an employee contract, there are inevitably clauses the employer can use to dismiss the employee.

Honored Contributor

I'm very surprised that they have the hosts' names listed with the shows.  They did this years ago and stopped the practice quickly.  From a business standpoint, if you look up a show and see a host you dislike is hosting, you aren't even going to tune in.  Whereas, if you tune in to a show you think you want to see, discover the host is not someone you like, you may stay a bit to see how it goes.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

PA is an "at will' state.

Look that up.

You can bet employment contracts in PA have a clause that lets the employers let employees go at will.

The employee doesn't have to sign that contract if they don't agree to it.

"In Pennsylvania (like a number of other states), workers will generally be considered to be “at will” employees unless they have an employment contract or statutory right that provides otherwise. An employer may terminate the services of an “at will” employee, with or without cause, at any time — as long as an employee is not let go for an unlawful purpose, such as age or racial discrimination. Conversely, “at will” employees have a similar right to resign their employment, for any reason (or no reason at all), at any time."

PA.gov website.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a ploy to get you to tune in.  Then even if it's a host you don't like, maybe you will stay around anyway.  Not me.  I just go online later.  If I miss a "this show only", so be it.  I refuse to play their game.

Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I don't think that they're clever enough to devise this as a "ploy."

I still contend that it's an IT glitch.

Esteemed Contributor

Not just hosts name alone. I'm not watching all their shows that describe just Gifts.

Occasional Visitor

The first time Q removed hosts' names from the schedule it was for the security of the hosts. This was a number of years ago.  At the time, a man was stalking Lisa Robertson.  Maybe this is again an issue for one of the hosts.

Esteemed Contributor

Bring Back the Names!

[ Edited ]

If that were the case, (which I highly doubt), were they truly concerned, why not eliminate hosts' names from show titles....they are numerous:  David, Mary, Shawn, Jane, Courtney, Alberti, Kerstin, Vanessa, Mary Beth, Steve, Jen, Leah and more have names attached to the current program guide.

Honored Contributor

Hosts change. Why post a name when it's not a sure thing?  

I don't care who hosts. I can't remember the last time I watched a whole show. The minute antics and useless chit chat begin, I change the channel.  

Honored Contributor

Hosts may change, but 98% of the time the host name in the Program Guide matches the host that's doing the show.  Even that 2% last minute host change is usually updated in time before the show begins. 

It's always been very helpful to me.