Esteemed Contributor

Re: Love new Host Mary Nelson !

@Fair Lady

Thank you.  Her speech drives me nuts.  I had no idea how to explain what it was about her voice that made me cringe to the point I could not watch her.  Thank you for explaining.  I am sure she is a lovely person, but she's a bit TOO SWEET for my taste. I absolutely cannot watch her without the volume tuned down.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nannerbelles

Me too  I could not explaiin it properly but thanks to a commenter her who did.

Esteemed Contributor

@SarahZ

I don't care about her accent, it's the HRT she uses as if she is finishing a sentence with a question and she sounds like her throat has pebbles in it that she is moving around.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fair Lady

LOL  Me too

Esteemed Contributor

@Crittersx4

I agree.  I cant tolerate it.  She is probably a lovely sweet person but they need to work on that voice

Esteemed Contributor

@Crittersx4

I feel the same way

Occasional Visitor

Do NOT change anything about Mary Nelson. Did you watch her 2 hour presentation: Gardening Made Easy by Cottage Farms? It was perfect! She’s my new favorite host, yes even over David.. 

There is nothing wrong with her voice, only too many judgmental people.

Love Mary please. 

Respected Contributor

@Fair Ladywrote:

I like Mary Nelson but I have one little suggestion. I wish she could cut down on the use of what speech experts call "HRT or high rising terminal"  This is when your voice goes up like a question when you're actually making a statement.

I don't know if any one passes these ideas on to a host but this is just a suggestion  as to how Mary's presentation would be better for me.

I too think Mary Nelson is great. You're so right about "HRT." It's also called "up talk," and it's an epidemic not only on QVC but throughout media and therefore the whole country.  It started in the 90s, when it used to be called "Valley Girl Twit Talk."  It spread rapidly and now afflicts almost as many men as women, making both sound tentative and unsure of themselves.

Super Contributor

Hi @vsm I think she has many kind and intelligent things to say and the last time I heard her, she seemed to be using much less of  the "up talk".

Honored Contributor

Could be a bit of acid reflux or GERD.  I've known a couple of people who had/have that.

Also, when visiting someone in the hospital, same slight gurgling in the throat.  Turned out she was over IV hydrated and needed lasik (sp?) treatment.  Well, that's what the doc told me. 

I believe that I recall Mary N saying that she drinks a lot of g*nger-ale type of sodas, so possibly it's an acid/stomach problem.  Overly acidic system, etc.  Sometimes we reach for those types of gingery sodas when our tummiesi aren't 'quite right'. ( I do.)

Well, there are all sorts of reasons, and I'm not an expert by any means.

Wishing her well.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).