Honored Contributor

Re: Long winded callers

[ Edited ]

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the callers, but I really don't think that the suggestions about how the producer or host should just pull the plug, especially with the very sad calls, would work to QVC's advantage because I can already imagine all the outraged threads about how rude and abrupt the hosts/producers are.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I'm always surprised when I hear a caller say that she's been waiting for "years" to talk to a host. I've been asked at least every other time I've done a phone order if I wanted to speak to the host. I've always thought there was a shortage of callers. Myself, I've always declined, however, I've wondered what kind of screening they give the calller as I've never heard a "negative" calller. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the callers, but I really don't think that the suggestions about how the producer or host should just pull the plug, especially with the very sad calls, would work to QVC's advantage because I can already imagine all the outraged threads about how rude and abrupt the hosts/producers are.

I was speaking more to the extreme ramblers who won't take the multiple cues from the host that the call needs to end, and yes, if the plug was pulled on the sad callers it would light up the boards with outraged threads. So that was probably not my most well thought out suggestion (there have been times when a dropped call has happened very conveniently). I usually use the mute button or turn to something else for a few minutes when the calls start.

Honored Contributor

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

I'm always surprised when I hear a caller say that she's been waiting for "years" to talk to a host. I've been asked at least every other time I've done a phone order if I wanted to speak to the host. I've always thought there was a shortage of callers. Myself, I've always declined, however, I've wondered what kind of screening they give the calller as I've never heard a "negative" calller. 

Oh my, you are lucky.  Here are a few of the cringeworthy doozies I've heard over the years (and yes, I have watched too much QVC for too long).

--A jewelry cleaner was on, Lisa R was the host.  Someone called in and started ranting about how horrible the cleaner was and it ruined all her Barbara Bixby jewelry.  This went on for minutes before the caller just hung up.

--Some lady called about a shirt on air that she said she had just placed an order for it but had a question.  I can't remember which vendor.  She starts asking all these questions about the fabric, is it stretchy, can you describe the color better, etc, etc, for a good 2-3 minutes.  THEN she goes, "you know what I don't think I'm going to like that, will you transfer me to the operator so I can cancel my order"

--A brand of bedding/sheets was on.  It was not northern nights (do they even have that brand still?) anyway, Jill was the host and this woman calls in to say that Northern nights was her favorite brand of sheets and she would never consider buying another brand....  again, this was not the brand that was on air.  

--This type has happened many times, but one particular call was for bare minerals when Leslie Blodget still presented.  the poor thing was saying that she lost her hair and brests to cancer and the make up helped her feel pretty.  It was heartbreaking, she was sobbing.  Again went on for minutes.  Felt terrible for the woman and I wanted to reach through the Tv and hug her, but it certainly did NOT make me want to shop.  Again, callers getting upset and crying happens regularly. How this is supposed to 'boost sales' is beyond me.

--A woman called, she was obviously hard of hearing.  This was in the Lisa Mason days.  Poor Lisa was just asking her things like "how are you today?" and "what color did you get" the normal stuff.  Every question, this lady answered "whaaaaat?  I can't hear you honey."  and so Lisa was screaming and repeating herself and the lady kept saying she couldn't hear.  again went on for minutes. 

--Someone called and said she was buying herself a $1,000 piece of jewelry from her cat to her for her bday.  She said her husband would never have spent money like that on her but now that he has passed away, she can buy whatever she wants.  Then she proceeded to ask the host to say Hi to her cat, who was sitting next to her, watching the Q.

I'll probably think of some more.  anyone else have any stories??

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tantallum wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I've got a few that will make the hair on the back of your head stand up but as God is my witness, they're all true.

One older woman called in and was ordering some kind of clothing, don't remember if it was pants or a skirt or whatever but the hostess complimented her on her good taste and asked her where she planned to wear it.  Without missing a beat the woman said (I'll paraphrase 'cause who remembers), "well, hostess, my husband passed away about a half hour ago and we're just waiting for the funeral home to come and get him so I'll probably wear this to his funeral next week".  Now, how do you respond when someone says that to you?

The second call that stands out is one during a Birkenstock show.  A woman caller (obviously 3 sheets to the wind (or better) called and said she had more than XXX amount of pairs.   Well she went on to say that she accidentally cut her foot off one day and when SHE sewed it back on it went on crooked so now she can't wear any shoes that have backs on them.  Hubby and I were in the same room at the time of that call and we doubled over in both disbelief and laughter.  Jill was hosting that day and what's her name, the long blonde haired woman, was on as well and OM goodness, it was all they could do to keep a straight face.

Oh, and then there's the woman who called in because she was buying a hand held shower massager and she went on to tell Bob Bowersox that she was going to use it to pleasure herself.

You can't make this stuff up...

Maria

P.S.  I consider myself a longtime poster never given to exaggeration and one with a pretty good reputation so although these stories sound far fetched, hand on my Bible, every one of them is true.

Esteemed Contributor

Ladies, thanks so much for so many chuckles. The stories are great, and I can imagine the host responding. I enjoyed them all. I probably don't pay much attention to them, but it sounds like I've missed some jewels. Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@curlywhitedog wrote:

I've got a few that will make the hair on the back of your head stand up but as God is my witness, they're all true.

One older woman called in and was ordering some kind of clothing, don't remember if it was pants or a skirt or whatever but the hostess complimented her on her good taste and asked her where she planned to wear it.  Without missing a beat the woman said (I'll paraphrase 'cause who remembers), Now, how do you respond when someone says that to you?"well, hostess, my husband passed away about a half hour ago and we're just waiting for the funeral home to come and get him so I'll probably wear this to his funeral next week". 

The second call that stands out is one during a Birkenstock show.  A woman caller (obviously 3 sheets to the wind (or better) called and said she had more than XXX amount of pairs.   Well she went on to say that she accidentally cut her foot off one day and when SHE sewed it back on it went on crooked so now she can't wear any shoes that have backs on them.  Hubby and I were in the same room at the time of that call and we doubled over in both disbelief and laughter.  Jill was hosting that day and what's her name, the long blonde haired woman, was on as well and OM goodness, it was all they could do to keep a straight face.

Oh, and then there's the woman who called in because she was buying a hand held shower massager and she went on to tell Bob Bowersox that she was going to use it to pleasure herself.

You can't make this stuff up...

Maria

P.S.  I consider myself a longtime poster never given to exaggeration and one with a pretty good reputation so although these stories sound far fetched, hand on my Bible, every one of them is true.

This is just wrong. Who in their right mind is watching QVC and placing orders and then agrees to talk to the host onair when their husband passed away just 30 minutes prior??? I can't believe that is real. Maybe the woman was just going for shock value with her statement. Either that or she truly needs some help or did not care one bit for her husband. And please spare me the "everyone grieves in their own way" speech because no one grieves in this manner unless they are heartless or disturbed.