Esteemed Contributor

Re: “Like” Valley girl talk from 1980!

It's like money.

Like you're walking down Madison Ave.

It's like everybody will be so envious of you.

Frequent Contributor

@santoriniQVC has never used the would "hostess" to describe their female presenters. Every time their name is on the lower thirds of the screen it says "Program Host" next to it.

Regular Contributor

Nodoover I call Julia Miss half tuck. She most always has her shirts with that sloppy look.She is the one of the worse Gourmet food show presenter.I refise to watch her when I turn the show on and see her. I can't believe she has lasted this long on Q.V.C.

Valued Contributor

I have lived in California my whole life and when I was in highschool in the 80s and the Go-Gos came out and Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out, and the Tubes that's all we spoke was Valley Girl. In fact I still say like. I try not to say gnarly or totally but it slips out sometimes at 58 it totally dates me. Lol
Valued Contributor

@threecees
Like I totally get you.
Honored Contributor

I cannot stand to here that word used every other time in a sentence. You know who does that to excess, as she does with everything--is JT!!! Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Gkhm wrote:

Julia Cearly and Carrie, the Cuddl Duds rep were actually speaking this way during the entire presentation!  The other hostess, that I do not know, was speaking as an educated presenter.  She is younger than both of them, and obviously better trained.  I haven't watched QVC in several months… Now I know why!

@Gkhm , I'll tell you what drives me nuts, it's when someone calls a female host a hostess. They are not seating people at Applebees.

Really?  Wow.  Here's a copy of the definition from dictionary.com:

hostess

noun

1. a woman who acts as master of ceremonies, moderator, or interviewer for a television or radio program; host.

@santorini , QV.C has always referred to their presenters as hosts, so that is why it irritates me when someone refers to the females as hostesses. It sounds as though you are demeaning them, regardless of what the dictionary says.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

The rain in Spain " Like" stays mainly in the plain.
Respected Contributor

I still can't stop using Like!!  It started when I was in HS in the 80s and stayed.

I catch it sometimes and think, Really Lisa!

Super Contributor

So. Did. I!