Valued Contributor

Re: I Truly Hope Dan Wheeler Goes For Grief Counseling

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@MENTL wrote:

I have been going through this since July and grief counseling DOES NOT HELP.  Talking to someone that doesn't know you and telling them your most private thoughts is hard and didn't help me one bit.

Just because it hasn't helped you (yet), does not mean that it won't help anyone.

Grief counseling DOES help a lot of people.

I agree it helps some but it doesn't help everyone and is not necessarily right for everyone. People grieve in different ways and how they get through it is not for others to decide.

Honored Contributor

I think Dan should do what Dan wants to do.  If he wants to reach out on FB, that is really his business.  If he feels he needs grief counseling, he can do that too.  There is no one size fits all for helping people get over a loss.

His wife was sick for awhile, this wasn't sudden, so he's been dealing with a lot for a few years.  His life has revolved around her illness and helping her and now, that is all gone. 

The loss is new to him and he will get through it as he feels best.  He seems to have a deep faith so there is always church and fellow parishioners to lean on and he has the hosts at QVC to help him.        

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, I agree with all you said.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a very inappropriate topic.

It's Dan's business and nobody else's

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Dan expressed again today on his Facebook page his great grief over the loss of his wife (not surprisingly of course) and also asked for help from people who have gone through this.

I truly hope he goes for some type of grief counseling. He sounds truly devastated upon the loss of his dear wife and, from his request on FB, needs some help coping with her loss.   A very good friend of mine was killed suddenly in a car accident and her husband was also absolutely devastated with her loss.   He joined a "grief group" and actually ended up later marrying someone he met in the group (not that I'm suggesting going for that reason...but that's a true story).   Dan just sounds like he could really use some help coping with his loss - and I hope he gets it and finds either a group or single counselor who can help him get through this sad time for him.

Yes, of course that's always there to help him.... eventually.  But for now, just give him time....  He needs his family and time.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

It was prompted by his reaching out for help on Facebook, which was very publicly.  That's why I suggested grief counseling in my first post.  

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

I would normally say this is a very valid point. But Dan has made the entire process very public on his public Facebook page, he wished to share is journey and now his grief. He has asked for support, prayers, and now advice and input from others. Because he has initiated all steps and aspects of this topic, it really is appropriate to discuss it here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@brii wrote:

I would normally say this is a very valid point. But Dan has made the entire process very public on his public Facebook page, he wished to share is journey and now his grief. He has asked for support, prayers, and now advice and input from others. Because he has initiated all steps and aspects of this topic, it really is appropriate to discuss it here.

Exactly what I thought.  Thanks for your post @Mominohio .   

Honored Contributor

I disagree.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother went to a support group after my father died and it helped her immensely. It is early days in Dan's grieving process. Some find solace in social networks but my guess is that's not sufficient. I hope he can find the support he needs. This is a very difficult process and it takes time.