Respected Contributor

Re: I Truly Hope Dan Wheeler Goes For Grief Counseling

having seen Dan's words and composure at his wife's funeral i think he will be fine.  he needs rest, decompression and a new life routine, npw that he is not a caretaker.  he is strong, full of faith -  and able to let his feelings out.  i think a lot of people were well instructed by his posts on FB about  his love for Beth, the way he was there for her, the way he was open to a miracle until the end.......and how he relied on his faith.  i hope he drew strength from the people all over the USA that rallied round him.  

Respected Contributor

@brii wrote:

This is a very inappropriate topic.

It's Dan's business and nobody else's

@brii - I would normally agree with you.  But, Dan started posting all his personal and deep feelings on FB which really surprised me.  I just couldn't understand why someone would be so revealing to strangers.  

Then I thought that maybe that's what he needed to do.  It wouldn't be the way I would do it but we are all different.  I noticed during this period his followers went from 32,000 to about 45,000.  Thousands of people were posting their condolences.  I imagine he needed this support.

However, there are a lot of  other people who are in the same situation and no one knows because because they aren't as public with their feelings.  I feel bad for anyone who has lost someone they love and I guess that covers about all of us at one time or another.

Occasional Contributor

Agree, we all deal with death in our own way. My heart breaks for Dan and his family. I have followed Dan on Facebook for years, but I am sorry to say I have to UNfollow/UNlike him for now. I, like probably MANY or MOST on this board have experienced death recently too. It is not easy. I realize Dan needs an outlet, but I don't think Facebook is the way to go. I'll leave it at that. Just last night my hubby found Beth's service on YouTube (and he wasn't looking for that). Grief counseling or even Hospice can and does give support as well as church. I also will unfollow any QVC host who reposts Dan's messages and pictures. This is my opinion because I, too, an grieving a loss and trying to get through each day as well.

Honored Contributor

@Mcbeth wrote:
Agree, we all deal with death in our own way. My heart breaks for Dan and his family. I have followed Dan on Facebook for years, but I am sorry to say I have to UNfollow/UNlike him for now. I, like probably MANY or MOST on this board have experienced death recently too. It is not easy. I realize Dan needs an outlet, but I don't think Facebook is the way to go. I'll leave it at that. Just last night my hubby found Beth's service on YouTube (and he wasn't looking for that). Grief counseling or even Hospice can and does give support as well as church. I also will unfollow any QVC host who reposts Dan's messages and pictures. This is my opinion because I, too, an grieving a loss and trying to get through each day as well.

I am truly sorry you feel this way. Some in your circumstances might find help and comfort,  knowing that someone else is out there, going through similar things, and that is why I think it is important for him to do what he has since he is comfortable and feels the need to do so.

I believe he is touching lives he isn't aware of, and helping people in ways he may not know. I know that has been the case with me. Watching the last several weeks unfold on his page has really reminded me of what is important and what isn't. It has me focusing on my closest relationships while I have those I love around me. It has made a real impact in my life.

I do understand how this might not be your experience, and I understand how this could make you feel the intensity of your own sadness when you'd rather not. 

I hope you find comfort and peace.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@brii wrote:

It was prompted by his reaching out for help on Facebook, which was very publicly.  That's why I suggested grief counseling in my first post.  

I so agree with Pearley. I don't think this subject matter should be exposed and/or discussed here on this forum by all of Dan's viewers. You are not experts on his situation, and your comments should remain unto yourselves.  Even if you were a professional, this is not the place for you to advise or comment.Dan has massive friends, family, etc,. who are the experts and who are close to him and who care. Leave it to them to help him and  keep your comments private. This is so inappropriate for this forum just because it is offered by the place that employ's him.

People are using this forum now like a giant Facebook page or social media  space. it is a forum to discuss QVC and their products.

Too often people post here when they should remain silent.

Where is the respect for his privacy ? His FB comments are to be used for personal pray and concern, not to be blabbed everywhere.

Making excuses because someone posts their problems on Facebook is tacky and just an excuse for you to gossip. They are making personal comments in rhetorical ways and I am sure they don't want anyone to take it to a public forum for critiquing.

This kind of thing is not at all appropriate,. If you want to console Dan, do it on his FB page, not here.

Contributor

His grief is just NOW beginning. During the time of planning the funeral, family and friends flying into town et cetera and everyone around you, you have so many distractions to get you through. It's the day after the funeral, people are leaving/gone, the devastation really starts to kick in. That's why whenever anyone I know has a loss, I call them the day after I know a lot of their support system has resumed with their life, and boy, they are struggling.
Respected Contributor

Whether or not Dan decides to go to counseling is HIS BUSINESS and certainly none of ours!!! Of course, he is devestated and he will decide on his own how to grieve.

Respected Contributor

We all sit here and say Dan should do this or Dan should do that, Dan needs to do what is best for himself - no matter what anyone else thinks. Everyone loses someone at some point in time - everyone deals with it in their own way. It is not easy, no matter what path you choose - there is no right way or wrong way  - just your way. People do what they need to do for themselves - no matter if someone approves or not.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@redhead78 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@brii wrote:

It was prompted by his reaching out for help on Facebook, which was very publicly.  That's why I suggested grief counseling in my first post.  

I so agree with Pearley. I don't think this subject matter should be exposed and/or discussed here on this forum by all of Dan's viewers. You are not experts on his situation, and your comments should remain unto yourselves.  Even if you were a professional, this is not the place for you to advise or comment.Dan has massive friends, family, etc,. who are the experts and who are close to him and who care. Leave it to them to help him and  keep your comments private. This is so inappropriate for this forum just because it is offered by the place that employ's him.

People are using this forum now like a giant Facebook page or social media  space. it is a forum to discuss QVC and their products.

Too often people post here when they should remain silent.

Where is the respect for his privacy ? His FB comments are to be used for personal pray and concern, not to be blabbed everywhere.

Making excuses because someone posts their problems on Facebook is tacky and just an excuse for you to gossip. They are making personal comments in rhetorical ways and I am sure they don't want anyone to take it to a public forum for critiquing.

This kind of thing is not at all appropriate,. If you want to console Dan, do it on his FB page, not here.

It seems that some here still aren't understanding that Dan himself, on his PUBLIC Facebook page, REQUESTED his followers to share their experiences and advice on how they have survived they type of loss he is going through right now. People there are reaching out to him by the thousands. There is no reason those who post here, can't reach out in the same way.

The moderators have not removed this thread because people here are offering their advice, just like he asked, only on a different forum. So if Dan wants to hear from folks on this topic, and the mods think that people are being respectful to Dan and each other, I'd say that those finding it inappropriate need to just scroll on by, rather than try to shame people, who are only offering up their experiences and views to someone who asked us to do so in the first place. 

Honored Contributor

Dan should do exactly what he wants to do.  Perhaps by reaching out to others on FB, he knows a wide audience will be coming together as a community to discuss their own grief.  That page could help others dealing with their own healing process.