Honored Contributor

Re: How did you discover QVC?

@beach-mom wrote:

@San Antonio Gal - What a fun thread! Thank you!

@beach-mom  - I'm enjoying reading these stories. Smiley Happy  Most of us have been shopping for a long time.

We have some lucky posters on this thread!  @Sooner winning 500 and @frenchie winning 1000.  How cool!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It must have been right after QVC took over from CVN, most likely it was a cooking show / gadget that got me interested.  My first QVC purchase was a cooking set of Corning Ware French White which I still have Smiley Happy  Bob Bowersox probably presented it.

Infomercials fascinated me, from my hero pocket fisherman set it and forget it Showtime Rotisserie Ron Popeil to the cheesy cable used car commercials.

Most of my career spent in marketing, still fascinates me. 

Honored Contributor

I started watching HSN first in the 80s because my mom and aunt were watching. I started watching QVC shortly after that.

I was busy teaching so I didn't have a lot of time to watch. I did watch Leah W. on AM Style while I was cleaning house on Saturday morning. I also watched PM Style with Lisa R. on Monday night while grading papers. I remember only being able to order by phone. 

I watched it a lot more when I was home recuperating from illness and surgery in 2001. That started several years of increased viewing and buying. Now, I only watch & buy once in awhile. 

Honored Contributor

From advertising date and time of airing on TV in 1986. I stopped buying and watching around 1996.  I had only been buying jewelry.  Quality declining.  Settings very thin. 

Second discovery was 2012, mid-October, flipping channels and seeing Valerie and Christmas decor.  The set looked beautiful, so I stopped to watch.  Then found out Louis Dell'Olio was designing clothing there.  Wow, I thought, QVC has come a long way.  

Trusted Contributor

Before QVC I watched HSN.  Back then if you wanted an item you had a certain amount of minutes to buy or lose out.  I remember being in bed when they were presenting a set of bar stools and rushing downstairs to call in (no internet back then) before the time was up.

When QVC was first aired Comcast did not carry it, took them about a year to do so.  That was back when it was actually fun to watch the Q because the hosts were not so driven to act foolishly and do the hard sell.  They also had a better variety of items and I don't remember a whole hour being devoted to one thing.  I remember wishing I could afford that step ladder thing that converted into an ironing board, think it was probably $40 back then.Woman Very Happy

I also remember Q buying out CVN and MaryBeth coming over and maybe one or two others??

Honored Contributor

Channel surfing one afternoon in 1995. 

Contributor

I didn't discover QVC.  It discovered me.  I was a CVN.  Bought a set of T-Fal which my husband still has.  Then one day, poof.  The channel became QVC.  The rest is history. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had found CVN back in '85-'86? and watched...when it became QVC, I continued to watch and order.  My working hours were long with a life allowing limited casual shopping, the convenience was a blessing.  Have been long-time watcher/buyer from TV then to computer on-line with live streaming, although the last couple years with company program changes and recent host hirings has lessened my interest.  Still have favored brands so purchase as needed. Watch periodically but limited due to current hosts, poor programming, and considerably higher prices.  The food programs have become unbearable to watch due to host or multiple hosts behavior. 

Regular Contributor

I found QVC about 10 years ago, when it popped up as a subchannel for the ION network. Since, I have bought Christmas gifts, and a fee impulse purchases during the year. I've bought some great stuff.

The first time I saw home shopping was in the 80s when HSN (then HSC) was brocade overnights. I spent many a night typing (on a typewriter!) Term papers with HSN as perfect background noise ( calm talk, with no loud music or special effects).

The typewriter ribbon would inevitably run out at 3:30AM, but I always had the program host to console me.
Occasional Contributor

I can't even remember when I found QVC, and it was probably by channel surfing. My first, big purchase was a Thomas Kincade, and I purchased several over the years. I purchased several Judith Ripka. I became obsessed with Lisa Robertson and Leslie from Bare Minerals. It was pure gold when they were on together, so after Lisa left I pretty much stopped watching. I just bought some beautiful silk flowers from Lisa's web site. Now I am checking for a Dooney and Bourke bag. I just don't sit and watch for hours any more. I purchase maybe once a year.