Esteemed Contributor

How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

Whether an HSN/QVC merger or whatever helps or not remains to be seen but don't all the American shopping channels basically sell to an older client base and haven't they been trying forever to attract younger customers? I suspect that's what the Beauty IQ channel is supposed to do since it looks basically like a youtube channel.

Anyway, TSC or The Shopping Channel in Canada recently rebranded themselves in order to attract new and younger shoppers, they now call themselves Today's Shopping Choice. I don't think it helps much to change names but it's only been about 2.5 months since the changeover. They sell merchandise from the big 3 American shopping channel vendors plus some Canadian vendors (some which sell on the European QVC channels and other channels around the world).

There's an interesting videoclip on youtube of the president of TSC discussing trying to attract younger customers, this video was from April before the TSC rebranding went into effect. The president of TSC used to be the chief marketing officer at HSN and the interviewer used to be the editor-in-chief of "Flare", a now defunct Canadian fashion magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRsfZ2Ee1Y&t=26s

from the

CAFA Fashion & Retail Forum 2017: Anne Martin Vachon

Honored Contributor

Re: How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

I think QVC's big move to attract a younger clientele was to hire Courtney and Kirsten, both of whom act like adolescents most of the time.  The rest of us just change the channel. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@TYAs I understood the merger talk, it's as much a way to get enough size to compete online as it is anything to do with the TV component.

I have no idea how they'd get a huge young TV audience any more than I can see so many mall stores finding a way to attract more traffic.

Sad for me because I still prefer buying so many things in a store setting.  The main advantage for me is that I buy far less overall as more and more goes online.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think QVC's big move to attract a younger clientele was to hire Courtney and Kirsten, both of whom act like adolescents most of the time.  The rest of us just change the channel. 

I also think we've seen younger looking brands like Fly London shoes (although God knows where kids would get the $ to purchase them), Hot In Hollywood and BECCA Cosmetics that fascinates w/ all things highlighting. 

Honored Contributor

I think they may be able to interest stay at home mom's if there are any, but career ladies who aren't home all day will not have time to come home and sit and watch ITKWD, Dyson, mattresses, etc.      If younger people want to shop, they will go online and probably not to QVC or HSN,

Respected Contributor

I think they will eventually add new vendors attracting a younger audience and improve their phone "app" which HSN has been leaning to over for the past year.  The future is all about that little hand held device called a smartphone. Woman WinkWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

'I  don't know', but in general, all I see around me are the younger generation texting. I couldn't tell you whether or not they are watching any home shopping shows..........I can only guess.   The young men seem to be into videos/games. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I was watching a comedienne on TV recently, and he began to talk about getting old and the signs you were getting old. He actually said as the first sign: you start to watch QVC! Then he went on to make fun of different things they sell.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if they think teens and young adults are interested in listening to hours of programming about Dyson, Shark, Serta, My Pillow, Vitamix, etc., etc.?  The answer is an emphatic, "No!" 

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

I was watching a comedienne on TV recently, and he began to talk about getting old and the signs you were getting old. He actually said as the first sign: you start to watch QVC! Then he went on to make fun of different things they sell.

@febe1  FYI: A comedienne is a female performer; a comedian is the male version.   I think that comedian may have been correct.  QVC is also good for putting children to sleep at night.