Honored Contributor

Re: How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I was watching a comedienne on TV recently, and he began to talk about getting old and the signs you were getting old. He actually said as the first sign: you start to watch QVC! Then he went on to make fun of different things they sell.

@febe1  FYI: A comedienne is a female performer; a comedian is the male version.   I think that comedian may have been correct.  QVC is also good for putting children to sleep at night. 

@Kachina624

And I bet as a cure for insomnia and cheaper than going to any Sleep Study Facility--Woman Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I think trying to market to the younger demographic is a lost cause....the people I know 40 and younger (my children's ages)....have no interest.  When they have free time to watch tv it is a series they are interested in or a movie....they wouldn't sit and watch a shopping channel.   They shop online at places like Amazon and specialty stores that carry what they want at good prices and free shipping.

For whatever time period these shopping channel venues have left they should focus on making the over 40 crowd happy.  There are huge numbers in that age grouping, and it is where they will have the chance to make money the next 15-20 years.

Just my opinion!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't think TV is a device they're interested in...............

@Desertdi

They don't watch on an "old fashion:" device like a regular TV, but they will watch shows like the Game Of Thrones or binge watch shows that interest them on their phones or tablets......and QVC/HSN definitely does NOT meet their criteria!........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

It might be a timing factor.  Who has time if you are busy with a job or young children too hang out on a shopping channel. l  think THEY know who is watching and that is what we get when we watch... an age specific product...

Just to make another comment.  I am a square dancer.  I have time for it.  Our caller is always looking to get in the younger dancers.  Good luck with that one.  Same reason.. Time.  He tried "younger music."  They have relaxed the dress code. Result -- the older dancer is leaving because they are not valued and the younger ones just are not either interested or staying past a few months. 

The Q probably knows what they are doing when they pick their items.  My one complaint is I am not an XXXXXS nor will any of the age related cosmetic treatments interest me unless they can be shown on OLDER MODELS TO WORK.  They sell to my age group but don't feature my age group. 

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

Whether an HSN/QVC merger or whatever helps or not remains to be seen but don't all the American shopping channels basically sell to an older client base and haven't they been trying forever to attract younger customers? I suspect that's what the Beauty IQ channel is supposed to do since it looks basically like a youtube channel.

Anyway, TSC or The Shopping Channel in Canada recently rebranded themselves in order to attract new and younger shoppers, they now call themselves Today's Shopping Choice. I don't think it helps much to change names but it's only been about 2.5 months since the changeover. They sell merchandise from the big 3 American shopping channel vendors plus some Canadian vendors (some which sell on the European QVC channels and other channels around the world).

There's an interesting videoclip on youtube of the president of TSC discussing trying to attract younger customers, this video was from April before the TSC rebranding went into effect. The president of TSC used to be the chief marketing officer at HSN and the interviewer used to be the editor-in-chief of "Flare", a now defunct Canadian fashion magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRsfZ2Ee1Y&t=26s

from the

CAFA Fashion & Retail Forum 2017: Anne Martin Vachon

Why do the need to?  Younger people love going shopphing at the mall.  They enjoy that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I think they may be able to interest stay at home mom's if there are any, but career ladies who aren't home all day will not have time to come home and sit and watch ITKWD, Dyson, mattresses, etc.      If younger people want to shop, they will go online and probably not to QVC or HSN,

This was me.  I was a stay at home mom from mid-20s to mid-30s.  I did most of my QVC shopping/spending during that time. 

With the way QVC currently does things, the main way they'll draw the younger demographic is to wait for them to get older!  

I'm another one who is turned off by the younger hosts like Courtney who acts worse than most teens I know but is well into her 30s.  I think expanding online presence will help them and improving their website sure would help.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I was watching a comedienne on TV recently, and he began to talk about getting old and the signs you were getting old. He actually said as the first sign: you start to watch QVC! Then he went on to make fun of different things they sell.

@febe1  FYI: A comedienne is a female performer; a comedian is the male version.   I think that comedian may have been correct.  QVC is also good for putting children to sleep at night. 

Thanks, @Kachina624.

Honored Contributor

Most of the stuff the shopping channels sell the young people, people under 34, are not buying. My son does not spend money on anything but food , rent and electronics. When he moved into his new place he bought furniture online, but from places that accepted bitcoin and had free S&H and returns. I think he did buy his sofa from a local furniture store though.When he does buy clothes and shoes, he buys from high end men's sites on line and then has the suits and shirts tailored. My son's girlfriends like to shop in stores and try their clothes and shoes on before they buy. I was in ULTA the other day and there were loads of young women in their shopping for their makeup and beauty appliances. At the checkout the women ahead of me was maybe 25 years old and spent 149.95 on makeup. I think for makeup they would be better off with the Q.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

When I was young I was never home.  Work all day and then come home to change and eat and go out with friends.  They may get some girls to watch but forget the guys.   Cat Happy

Hi @Katcat1. I can't remember what I was doing that long ago, but I'm sure I didn't sit around the tv either. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Kachina624

And I bet as a cure for insomnia and cheaper than going to any Sleep Study Facility--Woman Wink

....or purchasing a "My Pillow" w/ a TSV Serta mattress.