Honored Contributor

Re: How are shopping channels going to attact a younger clientele?

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wonder if they think teens and young adults are interested in listening to hours of programming about Dyson, Shark, Serta, My Pillow, Vitamix, etc., etc.?  The answer is an emphatic, "No!" 

@Kachina624 If we don't want to watch it, why would a young audience. A big yawn....

Honored Contributor

Its difficult to appeal to "kids" without alienating their bread and butter, us older shoppers.  Sometimes they get so hyper I just mentally tune out and I'm pretty tolerant. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think TV is a device they're interested in...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

plus it seems to me that more and more people (especially the younger crowd) are "cutting the cord" for tv/cable.  As others have mentioned, buying online or watching online seems to be the wave of the future. 

I know I order online for most of my shopping these days since honestly the whole TV experience for QVC/HSN/Evine have become either too repetitive for me or too annoying (hosts) for me and therefore, I pass.

For me at least, QVC has lost a lot of my business due to changes they brought on themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

They must be doing something to attract younger audiences, because QVC, et al.,  are not doing anything to attract me recently.  I've been watching (or used to watch) since the 80's - and have lost interest in QVC over time.  To me, every item they show, and their selling methods, seem geared to a much younger crowd.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

For me, at 63--I do more shopping with AMZ.. I watch a little of the shopping channels but I am weary of the inane host chatter and incredible claims of miracle results, from most the vendors. And the shows are showing the same old things, over and over. S/h is ridiculus. Also hate the phone calls---get rid of the  phone calls-----!!! who cares???? Besides, I get free shipping and in 2 days.

My daughter is in her 30's and has no cable TV--just streams what she wants to watch.

Honored Contributor

When I was young I was never home.  Work all day and then come home to change and eat and go out with friends.  They may get some girls to watch but forget the guys.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I don't believe they will ever accomplish this.

I believe the website will stay but the channels will eventually go away.  Unless you are using the home shopping channels as "entertainment", who has time to sit and watch?

I catch bits and pieces here and there but it's not my go to channel and TV is getting less and less at least for me. 

Respected Contributor

Attracting a younger audience is tough.  Most young mothers work and are too busy when they get home to watch QVC.  My daughters both work and they do order online but it is usually from Amazon, J.Crew, Ann Taylor, or kids stores like Carters and Gymboree.  They rarely shop at stores with the exception of Target for one stop shopping.

I think QVC sells a lot of cosmetics and maybe the younger Mom's like that but definately not the clothing lines.  Maybe this new "catch phrase clothing" is for them but it is expensive hollywood brands; certainly not for me. Oh, I forgot - I think LOGO might be for the younger crowd too - it certainly does not appeal to me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC's attempts to attract a younger demographic was to hire young hosts, and busy young moms....but in the process some of these host's antics may have caused QVC's older regular customers to turn the channel.  

QVC's only hope is Zulily which has a different variety of products including things for babies and kids which may attract  a younger customer (in fact Zulilly's financial report was one of the small bright spots in QVC's repertoire for Liberty---QVC's parent company).not known the age of buyers for Zulily)  And from what QVC's CEO said in an interview to QVC the younger demographic to them is the 35 age group and not millenials...............

As @Kachina624 said so eloquently the younger set is not interested in outdated electronics, vacuums, cream for wrinkles, expensive beds/mattresses, expensive cooking appliances, nor any of QVC's clothing lines (style and price they prefer to get their clothes at discount stores according to Wall Street Journal and Forbes articles. TJ MAXX, Ross, Marshalls etc.............)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”