Respected Contributor

They have so much competition now - all the shopping channels do. So I would kick up a notch what on-line venues don't or can't offer.  I used to love doll shows and jewelry shows especially.  Prices were always low and you could buy.  Now everything is just as high here and you don't get any gifts with purchase or fee samples like B+M on-line stores.  You don't get fun humor from the hosts or vendors.  Ineptness can be funny  but not intentional goofiness.

I loved the games HSN used to have, corny or not.  Gave you a reason to speak on the air if asked and added some excitement. Have something for people to look forward to! Freebies or mystery gifts for the first 500 sold. Shows with things we can't buy a thousand other places.  

I have lost interest in most of the hosts and items presented and I am a longtime, loyal customer - grab my attention!

Frequent Contributor

More new hosts, and new products. There have to be tons of vendors who would love to get on your program, instead of playing it safe and staying with the same vendors we have seen for years. Go out on a limb a ibt, instead of playing it safe all the time. Safe is getting redundant.

Respected Contributor

Well now, good question. Hmmm -  first, I would get rid of some of the hosts, especially the new ones - and, hire some more new ones. Then, I would stop the all- day shopping events. And, I would also stop the constant Christmas items from July until December - September 1st is soon enough. Oh, the gardening shows in January are way too early - they don't even start shipping until spring no matter where you live- March 1st is early enough for those shows.  And, actually I would get rid of a few of the models too - they have their nose so high up in the air it is ridiculous - they are QVC models and nothing more. And, I would definitely  give some shipping incentives to my shoppers - why on earth should you have to pay as much on a tube of lipstick say, as much as you do on a  pricey piece of jewelry? And, I would offer easy pay on anything over $20 say maybe every three months and always on a TSV. But, I am not in charge there......

-Texas Hill Country-
Regular Contributor

Re: How Would You Run QVC?

[ Edited ]

I agree that they are attempting to appeal to a more youthful market with younger hosts and the loud and frantic presentations.  But, as 

stevieb and others have noted, the products don't lend themselves to a

younger audience no matter how they are presented.  The Q's

primary audience is middle-aged women who have the time and money.

I just don't see younger women spending their time sitting at home  watching home shopping channels to buy Lock & Lock, Linens,Cookware,

Vitamix, hair growth products, mattresses, etc...  When I was in my 20's the last thing I would have been doing is watching home shopping!!

So, what is it going to be? Is the Q going to focus on it's primary audience

of middle-aged women (Spurt gave us stats that our average income is

between $50,000 - $200,000) with money to spend?  Or are they going to change focus, and concentrate on a youthful market with young hosts,  different presentation styles, and merchandise for 20-40 somethings?  

If they stick with their middle-aged customers, they need to update also.

What about selling men's clothing (Brooks Brothers, LL Bean, Lands End,

Chaps, etc...)?  Many women buy their spouses' and sons' clothing.  Or what about childrens' clothing (for grandmothers or busy working mothers)?   Shows featuring favorite catalog merchandise :Vermont

Country Store? - the possibities are endless.

There used to be more speciality items (Hummels, Black Forest Clocks,

Polish Stoneware, etc...) - these shows were "special events". How about themed shows? - again with endless possibilities: Wedding gift shows in

June, Baby Showers , graduation gifts, wedding anniversaries etc...and include clothes to wear to these events.  Someone mentioned clothing shows broken down by catagories such as office attire, casual, formal

wear - this is a great idea (sorry I can't remember who mentioned this).

Years ago, while watching PMS every week, it seemed like they presented many more products - if you left the room for a few minutes, they were on to the next item when you returned!  Now, time drags and presentations seem endless.  They need to rotate hosts - different hosts bring out different aspects from the vendors.  Isaac is a good example - he interacts differently with each host, and his shows become less routine.

Coupons, free shipping, sales (just like B&M stores) would be nice.  (read somewhere the Q makes huge profits from shipping & handling).

The Q should just turn to us - we'd have it all sorted out in no time!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sue in cincinnati great points but I don't think the QVC is interested in listening to its customers.

I'll expect a post telling me that there are only a "few" people complaining about it and if I don't like it I can stop shopping with QVC now.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@Sue in cincinnati great points but I don't think the QVC is interested in listening to its customers.

I'll expect a post telling me that there are only a "few" people complaining about it and if I don't like it I can stop shopping with QVC now.

Now @GinaV24, you forgot to mention that other astute little pearl of wisdom, SO often noted, you know, about how 'what they're doing must be working or they wouldn't do it'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Yo, those in the Q corner offices and sitting on the board, are you making notes? If not, you really should be... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

LOL, and why should you hear anything else?  

They sell 1000's of almost everything they present, they must be doing something right.

Who knows how many people do or don't like it.  This board doesn't really count as it's a lot of the same people complaining over and over about the same things.   

Anyone who's ever run a business knows that there's a lot of great ideas out there, but implementing them is a whole different story.  All these changes, it's delusional to think you could just make it happen like that.  Who knows if Q wants them in the first place.  

There's a lot of things I think could change, but I have no knowledge of how things are working for them.  I don't have a business degree and I'll wager that most of the people complaining haven't either.

LOL, the smartest thing they could do is remove this board.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor
I just read a marketing statistic that said for every one person who complains, there are 26 others who feel the same way and don't open their mouth -- they are lost business.

I would bring back the focus on Quality, if it were me running the place. Plus, regular training and evaluating of all the on air talent. It's not all about the sales numbers, although if I am watching I will probably be buying. If I am not watching and I need something, I am going to shop around multiple places.
Respected Contributor

@cosmic1 wrote:
I just read a marketing statistic that said for every one person who complains, there are 26 others who feel the same way and don't open their mouth -- they are lost business.

I would bring back the focus on Quality, if it were me running the place. Plus, regular training and evaluating of all the on air talent. It's not all about the sales numbers, although if I am watching I will probably be buying. If I am not watching and I need something, I am going to shop around multiple places.

Were there statistics on happy customers?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*