Occasional Contributor

Getting frustrated -why am I getting things that smell?

This week I have to return two things -- a set of sheets and an Isaac Mizrahi top.  In both cases they smell.  The shirt so much that when I washed it to see if I could get the smell out?  It got worse and I had to hang it to dry in the garage because it was stinking up the first floor of my house!  I'm so disappointed.  I would have kept both items otherwise.  So why isn't QVC's quality process checking this stuff before it goes out the door?

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting frustrated -why am I getting things that smell?

A few months back I ordered Dianne Gilman jeans from HSN, the petroleum/chemical smell was very strong.  I washed them twice and hung them outside for several days.  The smell mostly left, but when I wear them every once in a while I get a vague whiff of that nasty smell.  I have noticed that clothing made in the 3rd world counties have this smell, some strong, others not so much.  I think they are sent to warehouses already packaged from the manufacturer, therefore the smell is not noticeable.  China made stuff is the worst in my case.  I try to be very chosey when ordering cloth items from any where.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Clothes from other countries are fumigated with toxic chemicals to kill bugs. That is most likely what you are smelling.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Clothes from other countries are fumigated with toxic chemicals to kill bugs. That is most likely what you are smelling.

And I don't see QVC or its "designers" changing where their clothing is made any time soon. If the clothing wasn't from China, Vietnam, North Africa or Central America, the cost would have QVC shoppers screaming, and/or not buying.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Evine sells many lines of clothing that is made here in the states and they don't cost a fortune.

Honored Contributor

Have decided that ordering anything in the clothing area is a shot in the dark for me. Nothing ever fits according to the various size charts so am not buying anymore. I have better luck at Ma*cys and get better prices and no wait time or s/h. And the ridiculous return charges are too much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No matter what the item is.... if it's from China, it's a crapshoot that you will get something that stinks to high heaven, AND impossible to get rid of.  I've tried everything and nothing, nothing gets the stink out.

What's interesting is that not every one smells of the same item.  Other customers get the same item and leave glowing reviews.... and yet there are plenty of reviews complaining about the stink.

The stink that wafts off these items give me a headache and makes me feel woozy if I'm around it (enclosed) for awhile, so that tells me that whatever it is may certainly be toxic in some respect.....    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*