Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feds Investigating Rocky Mount Fire

I don't find this conversation distasteful, I find it very normal. It's a big story being repoeted by various major news organizations across the country.

Of course we realize we will not know definitely until the investigation by the ATF, local officials and any other agency that may be brought in is complete and published.

Respected Contributor

It’s distasteful to speculate when you have no real knowledge about it. It is not at all helpful for the old hens to gossip.
Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008  You really can't know that, there might be someone here who's qualified to comment.  Just as there is on any topic.  

I grew up in a family of professional firefighters (in this countries most populated city) so to me, this is far from a distasteful subject to discuss.  It's a very sad national news story and it's normal for people to want to share different theories and information. 

If it's bothersome for you, perhaps you might discontinue reading about it.

Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
It’s distasteful to speculate when you have no real knowledge about it. It is not at all helpful for the old hens to gossip.

@RollTide2008 And, I guess it's 'helpful' to call women here 'old hens?' That seems distasteful to me. Just saying...

It is not 'distasteful' for people to discuss -- and even speculate about a tragedy that is clearly so disturbing and atypical.

We want answers to why this happened and why a young man perished. It's a very common response. One of caring, not an excuse to 'gossip.'

Every person here knows that we will not know what happened until official reports are available. That won't stop others from 'speculating' about what they think could have happened.

It often helps to share feelings about sad events. It harms no one to do so. The damage is already done.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@RollTide2008 And, I guess it's 'helpful' to call women here 'old hens?' That seems distasteful to me. Just saying...

It is not 'distasteful' for people to discuss -- and even speculate about a tragedy that is clearly so disturbing and atypical.

We want answers to why this happened and why a young man perished. It's a very common response. One of caring, not an excuse to 'gossip.'

Every person here knows that we will not know what happened until official reports are available. That won't stop others from 'speculating' about what they think could have happened.

It often helps to share feelings about sad events. It harms no one to do so. The damage is already done.

@BlueFinch  Speculation is not answers.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Very distasteful and mean to call fellow posters old hens @RollTide2008 .  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@BlueFinch   This "old hen" agrees with you.  When tragedy strikes, even if not on a personal level, we can still have compassion for the loss of Kevon's life and the loss of employment for the other workers.

This was not a fire in a trash can; it was an intense fire that destroyed over 75% of the warehouse.

Since there is an arson team investigating, the discussion is not "disgusting" nor is anyone here coming to a conclusion. 

What is disgusting is the lack of understanding about a real human tragedy vs. the "tragedy" of such lives as those of H&M, e.g.  or the breakup of the Beatles.

Perspective people.

Choose your subjects for compassion wisely.  You just never know.

Signed, Old Hen.

Can't Stop The Dancing Chicken GIF | Gfycat

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Electronics?

(from How-to-Geek website):  While lithium-ion batteries are, on the whole, incredibly safe they do very very occasionally catch fire or explode. When it happens, like with Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 fiasco or HP’s more recent laptop recall, it’s always big news.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

I agree @RollTide2008 - seems like a sport to some here to gossip, throw out innuendos, speculation on a variety of topics. And no doubt they find it to be a source of entertainment. Gross and repulsive 🤮 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee  Yes, speculation is forming a theory without firm evidence. But, this is exactly how the speculated theories eventually evolve to --- yes, the answer.

Again, it's a process that takes place with every case under investigation. Unless the case is crystal clear, it starts with speculation and builds upon it.

I've witnessed this myself with some legal cases. When investigators are on a case, they take history from all involved and consider their theories, until solved. Everything is considered potentiality integral to finding --- the answer.