Honored Contributor

🍀Favorite Irish Sweater🍀

[ Edited ]
Mine-Aran Crafts A263770 Light Blue
Honored Contributor

Re: 🍀Favorite Irish Sweater🍀

That one is really pretty. I like the detail on the hem. I'm too short for sweaters that length and would only be able to wear that for about 4 weeks here in Texas.

I really A231193, which I have in Jade Green, and A92282, which I have in purple. I love the purple because it's a fantastic jewel toned purple and the yarn is marled, which makes it even prettier.

Honored Contributor

Oh, and someday I would love to knit the Rogue sweater. I love the celtic knots on the hoodie, the wrists, and the sides.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rogue

Esteemed Contributor

It hasn't been around lately, but I have an Aran Craft ruana from about 6 years ago.  Love it.  Like a cape with structure and a button in the front, pockets, fringe in front, gorgeous contrast stitch in the back - well past the bum in the rear.  Surprisingly warm for an open piece.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Remember Deirdre McGuire? I have 4 of hers ~ they were very pricey, but no longer are carried.

Respected Contributor

I don't own any.  I always wanted to order one but never did, and I don't know why because I love sweaters.  I have always wanted a nice original Fisherman's sweater in natural.  I think I'm afraid it will be itchy.

Honored Contributor

I've been a ucker for Irish wool sweaters since they came to QVC... even before they sold Marino Wool (which is wonderful).  I had several from those years, including a plaid bomber style sweater jacket that developed holes in the material (drat!).  My favorite is a sweater the length of the one you're showing us only it has a hood!  I've decided I have to have hoods on just about everything here....

I also enjoyed the Scottish Shows (couldn't have been more than a half dozen of them).... but purchased (and still have) a tartan plaid lap blanket made of Scottish wool.... incredible quality to all these items.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

I don't own any.  I always wanted to order one but never did, and I don't know why because I love sweaters.  I have always wanted a nice original Fisherman's sweater in natural.  I think I'm afraid it will be itchy.

The Marino wool isn't itchy IMHO.  The older, original wools are, including the lap blanket I have.  LOL.... and one arrived years and years ago in the original wool smelling like a ripe old sheep!  Don't know what they forgot to do to it but man it smelled.... sent it back.  But have never, ever had any problems with the Marino wool they now use.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

Some are and some aren't. It depends on the quality of the wool (and whether or not you have a wool allergy).

Most merino wools are softer and less itchy that the wools of the past. Some lesser quality merino wools can still be scratchy, so it pays to read reviews and, when it doubt, go for a caridgan so that the wool won't be directly against your skin.

Wools have come a long way in recent years. They even make a type of wool, Superwash merino, that can go in the washer and dryer without felting/shrinking. I have a lot of Superwash merino wool socks and they are wonderful, not at all scratchy.

If you have a yan shop in your area, consider going in to check out the merino wool and feel some of the sample knits done in merino. That will give you an idea of what a good merino feels like. I'm sure QVC will have a lot of merino wool sweaters offered on March 17, so you might want to try it out before then. Smiley Happy