Trusted Contributor

So many people here refuse to accept that QVC is a retailer -- nothing more.  it is not our family.  It is not our friends.  It does not exist to entertain us or alleviate our boredom.

If this is true why do they use such entertaining presentations to get us interested in them?

Honored Contributor

This reminds me of a line from a football movie that  went something like this, " When I say it's a game. they call it a business, and when I call it a business they say it's a game," .  QVC  like most businesses wants it both ways.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

May I tell you from personal experience, a story?  I use to work in an office that had to send out maintenance people to residents homes for repairs.  The maintenance people would come back and they'd talk about the residents that would pull up a chair and watch and visit with them while they did their work.  There are some people in the world who don't have a lot of people to see and call. The hosts on here, represent that to some of the people who watch the Q. When they see someone everyday that way, and come into their homes via the t.v., it's like their family in a way. I'm home now that I'm retired, and I see the people on t.v. to the point that I know their names. I don't need to know personal things about them, but others who have watched them for years, feel closer to these people they see everyday. This is just my take on it. It doesn't apply to all people, but there's some.  One other person I heard about, use to call the time, just to hear another human voice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you agree with this?

[ Edited ]

@newlook456 wrote:

So many people here refuse to accept that QVC is a retailer -- nothing more.  it is not our family.  It is not our friends.  It does not exist to entertain us or alleviate our boredom.

If this is true why do they use such entertaining presentations to get us interested in them?

Yes. That's not an opinion for yes/no agreement, that's a basic fact.

They have entertaining presentations to get you to keep watching because they are a retailer trying to sell you things and the more you watch, the more you might buy. QVC is trying to sell you things. That's their primary objective. Getting you to keep watching to sell you more is a supporting objective. 

It all comes back to selling you things.

Respected Contributor

Yes QVC is definitely a retailer and they are on the air to sell their products and to make money. Now that being said I do believe with all the social media we have today that they for some people do become like friends to them. The host share a lot of their personal lives for instance on face book. If you watch a certain host long enough you really do get to know them. It reminds me of Julia Child and her best friend who only knew each other through letters for ten years. Not all of the host of course do this but some of them answer post themselves. Being connected to viewers is definitely a marketing tool no doubt about that but I think a lot of the host feel like the viewers are their friends also as they are on the job so much that they don't really have a lot o time to spend with their friends and family so they like knowing that people watch them on a regular basis and they know them.

Esteemed Contributor

On air to sell products.  The hosts are constantlly in touch with the "producer" and betcha they are being tracked by the minute the number of sales associated with what they actually say.  They have it down to a science.  

It is good sales technique to assist the buyer in identifying with the host in some way.  They are ONE OF US according to their attitude and demeanor.  It works or they would not do it.  

I am guilty as well and I do BORROW from this especially when I think I have been wronged in some way.  I will call back an online retailer and ask a question and  call back as many times as necessary to get what I think I deserve.  The best way to do this is never give up and also find a way  to identify with the person on the other end.  Human nature or learned from experience, IT WORKS.  

Honored Contributor

QVC certainly fosters the idea that we, the viewers and the hosts, are one big happy family.  No other shopping channel has hosts write blogs about everything they do with their families and pets.  Nowhere else do they allow hosts to ramble on incessantly about their personal lives.

Of course what we see is in large part entertainment.  We wouldn't spend 5 minutes watching if it wasn't entertaining.  If I seriously need to buy something and don't want to hear about, just need it fast, I go order my item from Amazon which has a "0" entertainment factor.  Consider the difference between these two types of operations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

May I tell you from personal experience, a story?  I use to work in an office that had to send out maintenance people to residents homes for repairs.  The maintenance people would come back and they'd talk about the residents that would pull up a chair and watch and visit with them while they did their work.  There are some people in the world who don't have a lot of people to see and call. The hosts on here, represent that to some of the people who watch the Q. When they see someone everyday that way, and come into their homes via the t.v., it's like their family in a way. I'm home now that I'm retired, and I see the people on t.v. to the point that I know their names. I don't need to know personal things about them, but others who have watched them for years, feel closer to these people they see everyday. This is just my take on it. It doesn't apply to all people, but there's some.  One other person I heard about, use to call the time, just to hear another human voice.

My husband interacts with the public on his job. There is an old lady close to 90 years old that he deals with and she is like that. She is lonely and wants company. He told me he stayed with her for an hour and a half one day while they visited. He's so sweet....

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@newlook456 wrote:

Yes. That's not an opinion for yes/no agreement, that's a basic fact.

They have entertaining presentations to get you to keep watching because they are a retailer trying to sell you things and the more you watch, the more you might buy. QVC is trying to sell you things. That's their primary objective. Getting you to keep watching to sell you more is a supporting objective. 

It all comes back to selling you things.

alot of companies are requiring their employees to have Facebook pages. My hairdresser works for JCP and they told her to set one up....

I think you hit the nail on the head.......

Respected Contributor

I believe that hosts share their personal life because it is a job requirement.  They are not doing it because they want to; they do it because they have to.