Respected Contributor

I really don't think people consider QVC hosts their families.  I think it's a put-down some like to employ to make themselves appear superior.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal it makes me so sad to hear things like that.  I wish that everyone had people who loved them in their lives who would call and make sure they are not only OK, but also not lonely.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 for me personally, I spend a lot less time watching because QVC's infomercial quality has become a thing to avoid.  There are some shows I still enjoy (mostly the decorating shows) to get ideas from.  Q has become a lot less entertaining, along with having too narrow a range of products)

Honored Contributor

I remember reading years ago that when Kathy Levine was on (which was before online ordering), if she mentioned her mother liked an item, the phones went crazy with orders.  Viewers "met" her mother on a few shows and liked her.  I guess they still monitor which phrases do the job of getting people to order.  Also guess that is why David goes over and over how many are left in each Temptations item so customers will hurry and order.

Honored Contributor

QVC thrives on that QVC viewer who is needy, lonely and maybe a little bit mental. That viewer sees QVC and the Hosts as their friend and family. That is who orders a ton of product when they do not need any of it.  That is the buyer QVC is depending on. 

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden, you summed it up perfectly. it's sad but true.

Respected Contributor
When I took the Q tour many years ago, they told us the host job is to entertain, educate and inform. Maybe it has changed since then, if not, there you have it!
Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow

May the Good L-RD richly bless your husband ten-fold for his beautiful act of kindness!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@qualitygal it makes me so sad to hear things like that.  I wish that everyone had people who loved them in their lives who would call and make sure they are not only OK, but also not lonely.

@GinaV24

Gina, I would take this another step further, and think it is very sad that women think the Q is their family, and then go and and spend time on these forums every day answering their friends on a daily basis.  These women have become life long friends, yet they have never met. they think they know each other, but in reality, they know just a fraction of each other's lives. They are just blogger nics. They depend on each other for medical advice, pet advice, makeup advice, you name it.  I fear that many times it is in replacement of a physical friend. They scour the boards and answer 10 to 25 items a day.  These boards have become their circle of friends. Instead of getting out and having lunch with friends, or spending time with others, they are glued to the TV, and then these boards.  

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF Oh, thank you! Thank you so much.  Woman Very Happy