Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do we have to look at Christmas for 6 months?

Pretty much! Just wait until October rolls around.

Respected Contributor

First thing I see when I go to the qvc homepage is "Christmas in July" and Christmas ornaments.

I don't want to even look at it this early.  Who needs it in July?  It is not special if you have to look at it for half a year or more.

I already watch WAY less than I ever did.  I don't buy Christmas stuff, as I have too much already. 

We all understand that QVC is a business, and they will do anything to make money.  But, they are turning off a substantial amount of people.  One can only speculate that it is offset by the "oh, I love it any day" people. 

I only posted this because it seems like they have started it EARLIER and on their home page in ways I have not noted before.  I'm sure SOMEONE will correct me if I am WRONG.  I remember July 25 kicking off Christmas, or my memory isn't correct.  Even that is way too early, but this year it isn't even waiting for that.

People who DO NOT like it are entitled to their opinion also.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Maybe they still have inventory from last year to dump.  Saves me money cause I have no interest. 

Maybe?  No maybe about it.  It would appear they still have inventory from five years ago to dump...  And their M.O. never changes from holiday season to holiday season...  Can't wait for those 'stocking stuffers'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
And-- just as sure as we'll have Christmas-programming fatigue way before Dec. 25-- the next day all vestiges of Xmas will be gone. Then it will be a "time to take care of me" theme. The focus will be "treat yourself to what Santa didn't bring," thru Dec. 31. (They'll be unloading all the "treasures" that didn't sell.)

Then, starting on New Year's Day, it's "keep your resolutions." We'll see wall-to-wall NutriSystem, exercise equipment, and Zumba DVDs all month long, till the cows come home.

It's just all so predictable and boooring....
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

The thing is.... I absolutely LOVE Christmas.  I love everything about it, especially Christ's birth and the songs and stories.  But it has beome so INCREDIBLY commercialized that it's difficult not to get fed up with all of it by the time it gets here.  

Also, most of the birthdays in our family (and extended family) are in October with both my sons having their birthday at the end of Oct that I don't deal with Christmas until after October.  I have to say that I do start buying Christmas presents in Sept and Oct..... but not before.

And as much as I love Christmas, I turn off programming of any kind until at least October.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

HSN has already done some Christmas shows and B&M stores also seem to start earlier every year!

I know a lot of people who do shop very early, and are done long before the Holiday Season..it's not my way, but, the world doesn't revolve around me
😀

One thing that irritates me more than Christmas programming on the
shopping channels- the Christmas in July movies on Hallmark. I just find most of them so, corny and overly sweet, with bad writing and acting. Bad enough at Christmas 😈Shame on me!
The solution, of course, don't watch.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think retailers are missing the boat by not understanding that the "12 Days of Christmas" actually start the day after Christmas (Boxing Day) and go to January 6 (the Epiphany, or when the wise men reached Bethlehem).

Boxing Day (as most of you know) refers to "boxes" as in "gifts in boxes."  And the very song tells us there are gifts to give each of those days (not that you have to find 12 swans a'swimming, of course).

But if your business is focused on increasing sales, it would seem to me that the days after Christmas ought to be included.  Some of us like to keep up our decor during that time and simply enjoy it.  After all, we spent all that time putting it up.  And maybe we'd appreciate QVC and/or other retailers letting the Christmas look stay around longer.

This is not to say they NEED to start selling in July, but I can live with that.

Image result for 12 days of christmas

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

No one here said they hate Christmas.  I love Christmas.  AFTER Thanksgiving.

QVC has had x-mas in July for as long as I can remember.  But, they used to do a day of x-mas in July programming and then they changed it to a weekend of x-mas in July.  Now, they had all day x-mas programming July 1, they've had a number of x-mas programs throughout the entire month and this weekend is the official x-mas in July programming.

Once QVC does x-mas in July, it's full steam ahead for x-mas programs.  We will see at least one day every month dedicated to x-mas programming.  At the rate they've been going, I suspect we will see holiday programming sprinkled throughout the months through December.

When QVC can no longer guarantee holiday delivery, and everyone else is in the midst of full-on holiday celebrations, every tree and x-mas bauble will be stripped from the sets and it will look like any other day at the Q.     

After Thanksgiving leaves only three weeks until Christmas, not nearly enough time to buy presents, decorate, prepare for it, bake, etc., especially if one works outside of the home, etc.  Maybe July is a bit early, but I will watch this weekend, and if I buy, I know that I will be paying less compared to prices down the line.

Valued Contributor

I vote that they get a QVC PLUS PLUS channel that they can show their Christmas nonsense on 365 days a year. 

I don't hate Christmas.  Far from it.  My house rocks plenty of holiday decor - in the season.  I just don't see the point of buying things out of season that will need to be stored for several months before using. 

I even do my shooping fairly early too - in the fall.  However, if you shop too early you get burned because the best deals they save for the procrastinators.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

Christmas selling for half a year is totally bizarre! I want to enjoy the season that we are in, not the one a half a year away. It's bad enough that stores start Christmas earlier and earlier so by the time the end of September rolls around we are seeing both Halloween and Christmas stuff side by side.