Respected Contributor

Re: Do QVC hosts receive training in color differences?

On the presentations I've seen I think they do pretty good.  The shopper needs to know what is listed on that card so we know what to order, but I appreciate them commenting if it doesn't look that color to their eye.  I guess I'm not that picky if it's in that same color family.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

And some of them lack a knowledge of fabrics and patterns, naming them incorrectly (with corrections from the designers), misspronunciatons, or looking clueless as the designer talks about a fabric. If you are selling an item to a TV audience, you should be able to describe it correctly. I realize we all have a learning curve, but this is their career choice, not a shopping trip with friends, and they should be better prepared. I agree that color perception can vary by individual. My mom just could not see subtle shade differences in the blue, green, or red families. She always had to ask me if the color value was correct or coordinating.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach

Just for grins, I viewed the video.  

Threw in several swatches...including the D&B 'elephant' (odd color).

I kinda/sorta see Camel, as well.

Thoughts?

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Hi, @sidsmom

You went to a lot of trouble!  Good job.

I have to disagree on the jacket, though, because on my tv at home, it looked beige without any taupe or camel tone.  My tv is pretty good at reproducing color -- not perfect, but pretty good.  I can tell the difference between all the beige tones of the Denim & Co. pants (those basic ones with pockets and elastic waists) when they show them on the racks on their sets.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I want a true navy......the color worn by the U.S. Navy.......and have been disappointed when receiving royal, purplish, medium blue, etc. -- from ALL on-line retailers.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

and I have to think that some of the buyers are color blind since the color named for the item is so often far off of what it actually is.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@GingerPeach

Just for grins, I viewed the video.  

Threw in several swatches...including the D&B 'elephant' (odd color).

I kinda/sorta see Camel, as well.

Thoughts?

image.jpeg

@sidsmom, thanks so much for putting together this color range!!! Smiley Happy 

Taupe is probably my favorite color for clothing, but I only really discovered what the color taupe was during a London December sales shopping spree about 30 years ago. --  And, unfortunately, it's very difficult to find the taupe shown it the Pantone color chart in clothing sold in the USA. I also really like the Pantone Mushroom (that seems to have a blush undertone) and the Elephant Skin (that I would also describe as a taupe).

In American stores, and especially on QVC, I constantly see "taupe" clothing that I think is really camel, tan, or beige. It's really frustrating as soon as I hear that there's a taupe color option, I spend time trying fo figure out if it's really a taupe or another color. 

@GingerPeach, I'd really appreciate your feedback on this. And why is it so difficult to find real taupe (which is so flattering to the skin) in American clothing? Thanks!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

P.S. and homegirl, thank you so much for bring up the color issue in your thread, because it's a real problem. Simply put, QVC should create some color classes that all of the hosts should have to attend... and keep attenting until they've gotten a good handle on how to describe the various colors. lol, and the folks who name the QVC color options need to take these classes as well. Smiley Wink -- From what I remember, there are a few hosts who do seem to have a handle on color differentiation and will mention that a particular color option looks more like a different color option.

Honored Contributor

Question should be "do the hosts receive any training"

However the easy solution to the color problem on clothing would be a small piece of tape on the hanger with the correct  color on it, to avoid the silly bantering by the hosts and OAP

There is plenty of time before the products are presented on air for this to be done.  When you take the tour they show you

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the Pantone color swatches listed above, on my computer monitor, the camel definitely has NO yellow in it but the beige and the tan do, especially the tan.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with putting the color tag on the hanger. A host once presenting clothing items and having problems describing them appologized and said that instead of going over the items for preparation before the show, she and the vendor talked about family. So if they are not going to prepare for the presentation, they need tags!